I know that I’m a little late on the minion crafts. Despicable Me 2 was released in July and here it is the end of January, but I don’t think timing matters with these little guys. The little yellow minions made famous by their last two movies are just too cute and I doubt anyone would object to yet one more minion craft!
Many of you know that my kids are just about all grown up. My youngest is 15, so his interest in cardboard tubes is gone. I’m not a grandmother yet either, so now I give many of my kid’s craft projects to my friend Debra’s grandson. You’ve seen him on this blog before when he modeled these Egg Carton Spy Glasses that I made a couple of years ago.
He seems to think they’re pretty darn cute, so I bet your kids and grandkids would too! Here’s how you make them.
(Full printable instructions below) Glue yellow construction paper around the cardboard tube.
Cut a sheet of blue construction paper in half lengthwise. Take one of the halves and cut it in half in the opposite direction. Now, from one of those halves, cut in half again, lengthwise. The strips you need measure 2″ x 6″.
Use the pattern (link in printable instructions) to cut the coveralls out of your blue strip.
Glue the coveralls to the yellow tube, lining it up along the bottom of the tube. Add all the details as described in the printable instructions below.
There, wasn’t that fun??
What you need:
- 3 cardboard tubes
- Glue stick
- Black, gray brown and yellow markers
What you do:
- Cut a sheet of yellow construction paper in half lengthwise. You can get two minions from each half. Apply glue stick to the yellow paper and wrap it around the cardboard tube. Trim the excess (about half the sheet) and repeat this process for the next two minions.
- Cut a sheet of blue construction paper in half lengthwise. Take one of the halves and cut it in half in the opposite direction. Now, from one of those halves, cut in half again, lengthwise. The strips you need measure 2" x 6".
- Use the pattern to cut the coveralls out of your blue strip.
- Glue the coveralls to the yellow tube, lining it up along the bottom of the tube.
- If you like, you can add the details such as the buttons on the coveralls using a black marker, and the front pocket with the letter "G" onto the front. For smaller kids, you may want to skip this part.
- Cut a thin strip of black paper, about 1/4" wide for the goggles. Glue the strip around the head area of the tube, about 3/4" from the top of the tube.
- Cut the goggle pieces from the black and white paper.
- * for a minion with one eye, use the larger circles, for two eyes use the smaller set of circles.
- Glue the white circle to the black circle and draw a pupil in the eye using a brown marker. You can add a dot of black to the brown. Glue the eye to the head of the minion overlapping the goggle strap. If you like, you can make the eyes appear to be squinting by adding yellow marker to the white as pictured.
- Use gray or brown markers to add mouths.
- If you would like to add hair, cut from black paper and glue to the inside of the tube at the front.
Copyright CraftsbyAmanda.com Amanda Formaro