Outside the front window of our previous home stood and big cherry blossom tree. Actually, it may have been an apple blossom, I’m not much of an arborist after all. But what I do know is that the tree in the spring engulfed my front window with hundreds of beautiful flowers that completely covered the tree’s branches. I also thought these egg carton flowers from Mod Podge Rocks were beautiful!
It was too short lived, as is everything in spring, but I definitely enjoyed it while it lasted! I’ve always had a soft spot for these beautiful blossoms and have made several projects inspired by them.
This particular craft is one I made for Spoonful.com. The cherry blossoms are made from painted cardboard egg cartons fixed to a branch with pipe cleaners.
FULL PRINTABLE INSTRUCTIONS BELOW
I’ve made a few other things inspired by these beautiful blossoms:
I used cardboard tubes to create this wall art shaped like a blossom branch.
I painted this White Cherry Blossom Tree on canvas for my daughter’s apartment.
And while these Decoupage Light Bulb Birds are not a cherry blossom project, they are hanging in the very tree that I mentioned above.
Egg Carton Cherry Blossom Branch
- Cardboard egg carton
- Pink paint
- 5 yellow pipe cleaners
- 12 yellow pony beads
- Medium sized branch
- Hot glue gun
- Remove the top from the egg carton container. There are small knobs sticking up in between the egg cups. Cut those off to use as smaller blooms. Cut each of the egg cups out as well.
- From the small knobs, cut triangles in each of the four sides to give the knobs "petals".
- Trim each egg cup and cut a skit from the top of one side down almost to the bottom of the cup. Repeat on the other side of the egg cup, directly across from the first slit. Now find the center between the first two and cut a third slit, and finally a fourth slit directly across from the third. Essentially you are cutting four slits in a cross pattern.
- Round the edges of each of those four slits using scissors.
- Paint all of the egg cups and small knobs, front and back with pink paint. Allow them to dry completely.
- When dry, poke a hole in the center of each egg cup and each small knob using a toothpick or a craft knife.
- Take 4 of the 5 pipe cleaners and cut them into thirds. Set the fifth pipe cleaner aside for now. Thread a pony bead onto the end of one of the pipe cleaner thirds. Push the bead down by about an inch and fold the excess pipe cleaner over the bead. Now twist that end of the pipe cleaner around the pipe cleaner below the bead to secure.
- Poke the open end of the pipe cleaner into the egg cup flower and push it through until the bead touches the center of the egg cup. Repeat for all the egg cup flowers.
- To create the flower buds you will use the small knobs of cardboard. Take the fifth pipe cleaner and cut it into 5 equal pieces. Take one pipe cleaner and bend it about 1/2" from the end. Bend it down so it touches itself, this will create a larger end that won't fall through the hole in the flower cup. Poke the open end of the pipe cleaner into the center of the small knob cups. Repeat for all flower buds.
- Wrap the long end of the pipe cleaner around the branch.
- Bunch flowers into groups of three. Ask a grown up to help you or to use the glue gun to secure the flowers to the branch.
Expert Tips & FAQs
I originally made this project for Spoonful. Spoonful has since closed and the instructions were taken down. I am putting the instructions here until such time that Spoonful projects are redirected to a new home. At that time I will remove the instructions and link directly to the project on their site.
- Tulip Wreath - March 21, 2023
- Cardboard Tube Bunny Rabbit Family - March 7, 2023
- St. Patrick’s Day Activity Sheets - February 28, 2023
LOVE THIS SITE
I believe some eggs are sold in PINK Styrofoam containers if I’m not mistaken? I know there are white and also blue, but either way…
If so, it would be 1/2 the work, or a blue bloom is certainly fitting as well, AND white. Both Pink and White are how Dogwoods bloom. Just change the stamen color to mirror the actual blooms.
Amanda Formaro says
Clara de Assis says
Hi im Anushka Isaac i just subscribed to your blog and was going through it, and its amazing!!!im completely in love with the White Cherry Blossom Tree and Egg Carton Cherry Blossom Branch, and im defenately going to try it :) ….love all the way from India.
Amanda Formaro says
Thank you Anushka! Hope you have fun making projects from here! :)