There are many ways to decorate a pumpkin, and one of the most popular is also among the easiest: the drip pumpkin! The secret to this one is the glitter paint, which gives the finished product the same effect as loose glitter but – unlike regular glitter – it will never shed. Meaning you won’t be vacuuming up glitter for several months afterward.
See all sorts of other ideas from my Pumpkin Painting Party!
Using a fake pumpkin is recommended because unlike a real pumpkin, you can pack a fake pumpkin away in storage and pull it out each year at Halloween. Faux pumpkins can be a bit pricey, so be sure to use your 40% off coupon at your favorite craft store.
Making a Glitter Drip Pumpkin
This is seriously one of the easiest projects you’ll ever do! The simplicity is what makes it one of my favorite pumpkin Halloween decorating ideas. The secret supply is the Glamour Dust paint, which goes on like regular paint but dries with an intensely glittery finish. You can probably find this paint at your local craft store, though you may to call first. If they don’t have it, I’ve included a link to Amazon in the supply list below so you can buy it online.
There are affiliate links in this post. That means if you buy something from that link, I will earn a small commission, but it won’t cost you anything additional.
Supplies needed to make a Glitter Drip Pumpkin
Wipe the pumpkin down with a damp cloth to be sure it’s dust and dirt free.
Apply a coat of StarLite varnish, which is a clear sealer with glitter in it. It goes on milky but dries clear. Allow it to dry.
Place the pumpkin on a piece of wax paper and drip glitter paint from the top of the pumpkin so that it dribbles down the sides.
Allow it to dry for several hours, occasionally moving it so it doesn’t stick to the wax paper.
As the paint dries it will become more and more glittery, giving you lots of sparkle with relatively little mess! You can find a printable version of these instructions below. Have you ever made a drip pumpkin? Tell me how it turned out in the comments!
More Pumpkin Ideas
- Make even more Halloween lovelies for your home with this list of 28 homemade Halloween decorations.
- Instead of using glitter paint, try using phosphorescent paint to make these Jack-o-lantern felt board!
- Take your pumpkin carving to the next level with free pumpkin carving stencils – over 700 designs to choose from!
- Young kids will love this Jack-o-lantern felt board, providing lots of fun and motor skills development.
- Can’t get enough Halloween crafts? Check out my entire Halloween projects archive!
Create your own beautiful and natural DIY succulent pumpkin decor for the Fall.
Glitter Drip Pumpkin
- 1 black faux pumpkin
- Americana StarLite varnish
- Glamour Dust glitter paint various colors
- Wipe the pumpkin down with a damp cloth to be sure it’s dust and dirt free.
- Apply a coat of StarLite varnish, which is a clear sealer with glitter in it. It goes on milky but dries clear. Allow it to dry.
- Place the pumpkin on a piece of wax paper and drip glitter paint from the top of the pumpkin so that it dribbles down the sides.
- Allow it to dry for several hours, occasionally moving it so it doesn’t stick to the wax paper.