I drew a little inspiration for these layered felt flower magnets from one of my previous projects. I’m actually running a little low in my felt stash, so I was digging through the containers and came across some felt circles I had brought home from the CHA show a few years ago. They were from a make and take demonstration I did and have been at the bottom of the stash pile ever since.
The paisley patterned felt made me think of flowers. Not sure why, but it did. And so the idea for these layered felt flowers was born.
Here’s the layered felt rainbow if you would like to try your hand at that.
Layered Felt Flower Magnets
- 1 patterned felt
- 4 felt colors to compliment
- 1 button
- 1 magnet
- Tools: scissors hot glue gun
- Cut a piece of felt into a 3 1/2" circle. Glue a button to the center of the felt circle.
- Cut a line from the edge of the felt to the center where the button is. Repeat this around the circle a total of six times, spacing them an inch or so apart. Now cut those flaps into petals by rounding the edges.
- Glue the felt flower you just created to another piece of felt of a different color. Use the first flower as a guide and cut around the petals, leaving a 1/4" border all the way around.
- Repeat the previous step twice with two more contrasting felt colors.
- Glue the layered flower (there should be a total of four layers) to the patterned felt and repeat the cutting process to complete the fifth layer. Glue a magnet to the back.
I originally made this project for Spoonful. Spoonful has since closed and the instructions were taken down. I am putting the instructions here until such time that Spoonful projects are redirected to a new home. At that time I will remove the instructions and link directly to the project on their site.
- Sunflower Welcome Sign - May 16, 2023
- Patriotic Pinwheels - May 9, 2023
- Patriotic Bandana Wreath - May 2, 2023
Leave a Reply