Baby Frame and Love Blocks

I was invited to a baby shower. I haven’t been to a baby shower in probably 18 years! Money is quite tight right now, so I knew I would be making the gifts instead of buying them. I decided on a cute little frame, some decorative blocks, and threw in some seeded bookmarks I had made previously. I couldn’t even buy the gift wrap, so this was an extremely frugal adventure.

Total cost to me, including gift wrap = $0.00 :)

Everything I used I had on hand. So certainly there was a price at some point, but all of these items were in my craft supplies, the wrapping paper I had from a previous birthday, and I decorated a paper lunch bag for the gift bag. I just used some patterned paper cut into a flower shape, different paper for the flower center and a button on top of that. I used a hole punch through the top of the bag and tied it with raffia. For the gift box, I used some leftover pink tissue paper and white twisted paper to tie a bow.

I’m really pleased with how they came out. I just don’t get to craft for ME anymore, it’s always kid’s crafts for work. So it’s really nice when I get the chance to get creative with something like this. I sure hope she likes it!

Note: You can use Modge Podge for this project, but I just use a mixture of white craft glue and water for my decoupage.

Baby Frame

square wooden frame
decorative paper (two different patterns, I used circles and checks)
pink paper
3/4″ wide baby green ribbon
1/4″ wide brown ribbon
12″ x 1″ strip of burlap
1″ wide button
white thread and needle
alphabet tiles to spell out “BABY”
white craft glue
paintbrush
water
scissors
brown paint (antiquing gel is better if you have it!)
sandpaper

Make a photocopy of the frame, cut out the copy of the frame to use as a pattern. Trace the pattern onto the patterned paper you want to be the main background (I chose the circles).

Cut out the patterned paper frame, then cut off about 1/4″ all the way around the outside and the inside of the frame shape.

Next, position the paper frame on top of the wooden frame. Eyeball it, then trim where needed. Mix some white craft glue and water, equal parts of each, in a bowl to make your decoupage mixture. Using a paintbrush. decoupage the paper frame onto the wood frame, smooth out any bubbles or air pockets as you go. Cut two pieces of checkered paper, about 2″ in height and the same width as the side of the frame. Position in the center on each side and decoupage on.

Tear a strip of pink paper to fit at the bottom of the frame and decoupage in place. If you have stain, or better yet, antiquing gel, use that (I only had brown paint, so I watered it down and worked with what I had) to give the paper an aged look. If using watered down paint, be sure to have a rag handy to wipe excess off as you work. Rough up all the edges with sandpaper.

Paint the alphabet tiles with thinned brown paint and wipe off excess. Sand all the edges with sandpaper. Glue the alphabet tiles to the pink paper.

Glue the green ribbon at the top and bottom of the checkered paper, wrapping around to the back and to the inside of the frame. Glue the brown ribbon to the center of the green ribbon.

Tie the strip of burlap into a bow. Sew button to the center of the bow, trim ends of bow if needed and make the edges ragged by pulling off a few threads. Glue the bow to the top left corner of the frame.

Love Blocks

4 – 1 1/2″ wooden blocks
4 different patterned papers
antique white paint
antiquing gel (or thinned brown paint)
sandpaper
decoupage mixture (white craft glue and water)
paintbrush
scissors

Sand the wooden blocks and paint them with antique white. Paint each block with thinned brown paint (or age with antiquing gel) and wipe off. Sand the edges of each block.

Use your a software program, like Word, to type “LOVE” in Papyrus font, size 82. Print out the document and size it against the blocks to make sure the font is the right size. Change the word “LOVE” to just the letter “L” and print it on the first paper. Repeat with each letter for each patterned paper.

Trace one of the wooden blocks onto a piece of scratch paper and cut out. Cut the square a bit smaller and place it onto a wood block for sizing purposes. There should be visible block all the way around the paper square. If there isn’t, trim it. Using that square paper as your guide, cut out the patterned letters.

Decoupage each letter onto each block. Let dry.

I’m participating in the following craft carnivals. To see some other awesome projects, be sure to visit them!

26 Responses to Baby Frame and Love Blocks

Megan says:

A very special gift indeed. I know would kove it! :)

One Cheap B*tch says:

Wow – both of these are great projects! I have a baby shower in June and I definitely think these would make for beautiful gifts for the mom-to-be!

Rachel@oneprettything.com says:

That is so cute Amanda. What a great set. Thanks so much for sharing this, I'll be linking.

Leanne says:

I love the blocks and the frame. What great presents to receive. You did a beautiful job.

Whimsical Creations says:

Those are beautiful presents.

Meg says:

Very cute. Love the blocks! I'm into name blocks right now, for my kids! So easy and they love to play with them!

Jessica Hills says:

Wow those are SO adorable! Seriously…some of the cutest baby gifts I have seen.

funplayroom says:

Those blocks are so cute!!! Great idea!!!

katherinemarie says:

Your "lo-cost" baby gifts will be life-time treasures!!!! I'm sure mama-to-be was blown away with your thoughtful and creative presents.

Thank you everyone!

Rachel – YAY! Thanks! Always love be featured on your site :)

katherinemarie – WOW – your photographs are stunning!

Pat Harris says:

The blocks aare so cute. Love the pastel colors! I especially love the frugality of the gift. Did good. Thanks for visiting junkblossoms. Please visit again soon, we love company. Blessings, Pat

Sarah @ Hennessey House says:

wow, these turned out beautiful :)

Lanie Ree says:

This all turned out so well! I bet the mother-to-be will love everything. And those dollar frames are one of my favorite things to work with. Nice job!

Thank you for linking this to A Little Craft Therapy with Life in the Pitts.

CJ {Pink Tea} says:

I love the blocks. Thanks for mentioning it.

Jason and Jill says:

Love all of these! I would love for you to come link up over at my blog! I've got prizes :)
    -Jill

Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden says:

Homemade gifts are always so special! Yours turned out great!

Thanks for linking up to Make it Yours Day at My Backyard Eden!

btw- I featured your Checkerboard Easter Cake this week!

PeaceLoveApplesauce says:

Hi!! These are fabulous.. Thanks for the idea!
    Visiting from Somewhat Simple. :)

Lori says:

I love all of this!

Thanks for joining Get Your Craft on Thursday. Please join me next week for another wonderful party!!

Please stop by next week I am having guest over each day and I would love for you to tell them HI!

ann says:

I read the directions for the LOVE blocks and immediately gathered up the materials and had some made within the hour. I love them!! Thanks.

Kristi Flanagan says:

Such a sweet, personalized gift. Love, love love it!

Thanks for planting this creative seed too! Hope to see you again Friday!

Kristi
    Punkin Seed Productions

Alison says:

Hi Amanda!! This is such a cute set!! The blocks are so adorable! I would love for you to link up at our Baby Week link party at Oopsey Daisy:

Your stuff is amazing!
    ~Alison

Anonymous says:

I LOVE these blocks! My sister is having her first baby this summer and I'm planning her shower and I would love to make these for her! I've looked at a couple local craft stores and I unfortunately have not been able to find wood blocks like these. Where did you find yours?

Hi Anon! You should be able to get these at Michael's, that's where I got these. Hobby Lobby should have them too. If you can't find them, be sure to ask an employee, they are always moving things around!

[...] Baby Frame and Love Blocks from Crafts by Amanda [...]

Oh I really like these! So adorable. LOVE that you used what you had on hand!!