Country Dammit Doll

This little country doll is a great comfort gift for someone you care about, or an adorable addition to any room in your home. You may remember Dammit Dolls from your grandmother’s time period and they are still around today.

Several years ago, I made this for a friend who was living in Germany. Her husband was in the military and away quite a lot. She missed him dearly and seemed so sad. She loved the gift and still cherishes it today.

There’s a much larger photo at the end of this post.

You will need

FOR THE DOLL
country floral fabric (half of a yard should do it!)
doll pattern
white yarn
darning needle
Fiberfil
curled jute
sewing needle
thread to match fabric
6 buttons to coordinate with the fabric
2 flat backed black eyes
fabric glue
large unpainted wood button
scrap of blue gingham fabric for neck bow

FOR THE CONTAINER
12″ cylindrical papier mache container
acrylic paint in antique white, light brown, and country blue
crackle medium
paintbrush
household sponge or sponge scrap
curled jute
rusty tin button
blue gingham fabric scrap
white tacky glue
black fine tip craft pen
ruler
scrap piece of paper
pen or pencil

What you do

THE DOLL

Bodice
To begin, print out the doll pattern and cut two pieces from country floral fabric, RIGHT side of fabric facing out. This doll is sewn on the outside, rather than sewn and turned inside out. This gives it a more primitive country look. Using a darning needle and white yarn, begin at the top/center of the head and sew downward, all the way around the doll until you get to the other side of the neck. Pause here to stuff the doll with Fiberfil, using the eraser end of a pencil to gently push the stuffing into the arms and legs. Complete the stuffing of the doll’s head and sew shut, knot off.

Embellishments
Using a length of curled jute (can be purchased in the craft store where doll hair is sold), cut into 1 1/2″ pieces. For each piece, fray the ends halfway, leaving the other half curled. Use a sewing needle and thread to sew the curled end of the jute pieces to the top of the head, frayed end should be pointing upward for the hair. You will need around 6 or 7 pieces of jute to complete the hair. Sew 3 buttons to the front of the hair, in the center, and 3 to the back, running thread through two buttons at once (one in back, one in front). Cut a strip of blue gingham fabric and fray the ends. Tie around doll’s neck and secure with a couple of threads. Use fabric glue to adhere eyes to the doll’s face. Sew wood button to the front of the doll’s body.

THE CONTAINER

Paint the papier mache cylinder and lid with a coat of antique white acrylic paint and allow to dry completely. Following the directions on the crackle medium, apply a coat of crackle medium over the antique white, and allow to dry according to the manufacturer’s directions (usually 15-45 minutes, or until tacky but not completely dry). Finish with a coat of light brown, again, follow the directions on the crackle medium! Use single brush strokes, DO NOT brush over and over, you will lose the crackle effect. Allow to dry completely.

For the lid, cut a piece of blue gingham fabric long enough to fit around the lid, fray and tie. Trim and fray the ends. Use tacky glue to secure the fabric to the lid. Tie a piece of curled jute around the lid over the fabric, tie in place, secure with tacky glue. Gently thread a rusty tin button with the jute, and tie, ends should hang downward.

When the light brown coat is dry, use the household sponge to apply an oval shape to the front of your cylinder using antique white. The oval should cover most of the length of the container, leaving about an inch at the bottom and the top (below the lid). Sponge a light border of country blue around the outer edge of your oval.

Using a piece of scrap paper and a pen or pencil, sketch out the poem listed below to ensure that you can fit it all on your oval. You can use a ruler to approximate how much area you have to work with. Use a craft pen to write on the poem when you are comfortable with it.

DAMMIT DOLL

When you want to climb the wall,
And stand right up and shout.
There’s a little Dammit doll
You cannot do without.

Just grasp it firmly by the legs,
And find a place to slam it.
And as you whack the stuffing out
Yell Dammit, Dammit, Dammit!

If Dammit’s not a word you say
Then twist its little neck
And grumble out repeatedly
Oh Heck, Oh Heck, Oh Heck!

And once your done abusing it
Just sit it on the shelf.
But hug it first, as I’d hug you
If I were there myself.

Note: Carefully stuff container with some light tissue paper before placing doll inside. You may need to tuck your doll’s arms in a bit to fit her in. Cover her with a bit more tissue paper and cover with the lid.

This project is entered in the following blog carnivals this week:

Made by You Monday
Make Your Monday
Making the World Cuter
Just Something I Whipped Up
Market Yourself Monday

Tags: , ,

26 Responses to Country Dammit Doll

Lis Garrett says:

Oh, I wish I were crafty enough to make this! I’ve never seen one of these dolls, but how hilarious. *Love* it!

Angie @ The Country Chic Cottage says:

I might have been living under a rock but this is the first time I have heard of this…it is too cute!! Thanks for sharing!

Sandy says:

My mom had one of these dolls and today I wish I had one to bang around!! love it!

Sandy

I've never seen one of these – how cute!

Thanks ladies!!

Amanda – Umm that's weird, I guess because your name is Amanda my blog thought you were me and made your comment pink!

Jennifer, A Self-Confessed Foodie says:

This is such a fun idea! There are definitely days when I could use one of these!

Lanie Ree says:

I have never heard of this! But it is a really good idea. I'd be afraid to hurt it's feelings, it's so cute (I know, I know. but still.)

Thank you for linking up to A Little Craft Therapy with Life in the Pitts.

concretenprimroses says:

I've never heard of these. Neat gift for the right person. I've been wondering what to do with my oatmeal tubes…
    Kathy

Deeba PAB says:

LOVE IT…. the colours, the blue and khaki, the entire thing! I'd love to do this one day Amanda!

Thanks ladies! I remember when I first heard of dammit dolls, loved the concept and the poem. :)

Embellished Bayou says:

Like some others, I've never heard of these, but what a cute idea! That little poem is great.

Enchanted Rose Studio says:

I've never heard of this! I loveeee it! How absolutely charming! Wonderful idea! So clever! Darling poem!

Cheers!
    Tina

Denise says:

LOVE THIS IDEA!
    Stopping by from LIFE AS LORIE!
    Please stop by!

fawnda says:

very cute!!

Lori says:

This is so cute. I need to make one and take it to work…

Thanks for joining Get Your Craft on Thurs. Please come by next week for another great party.
    Lori

Megan says:

I think I could use a Dammit Doll. Especially one that is so cute!

Hoosier Homemade says:

What a cute little doll! Thanks for sharing!
    I'm visiting from Tip Junkie!
    ~Liz

Lanie Ree says:

Hey, I am going to Feature this a week from tomorrow! Just thought I'd let you know in advance :)

jennwa says:

I have never seen a Dammit Doll but that would be a great gift.

Thanks for sharing.

Andy Porter says:

I love Dammit Dolls. I haven't seen them in such a long time. They always make me laugh! Great job! I'm so glad you linked to Creative Cats this week!

Veronica says:

I just love this little doll. I have it featured at Veronica's Korner. Please stop by and grab your Featured button.

Minny says:

I love these little dolls.. Mom used to make them out of brown material & cut them out like a gingerbread man. Sometimes she made dresses for them & some she didn't.
    I haven't made any for a long time. Thanks for posting this. Guess what I'll be doing next week? LOL

How cool Minny! I sometimes get slack for this doll from more "proper" moms, but I think they are fun and sweet :)

♥Suzanne♥@AbbyShabbyB says:

These are so AdoRAbLe!!! I will be featuring you at AbbyShabbyB… I have never heard of this,, but my grandma who is 95 years old has,,, guess what she is getting!,,lol Thanks so much for sharing!

Charlene Kennett says:

A friend made me a Dammit Doll for my birthday recently….we had so much fun reading the poem & acting out the “slamming” at a club meeting. I told my daughter about it….she came this weekend & we cut out 50 dolls….this is what her relatives are getting for Christmas…..guess I’ll have to make some for gift giving too….I think men need them too. Thanks for the ideas.