Paper Plate Lady Bugs

Is it silly to love certain crafts you make with your kids? These are one of my all time favorites, made with painted paper plates, scraps of fabric and some felt. I just think they are so darned adorable, I sometimes feel like making some just for me! :) While I did originally make these for FamilyCorner.com a few years ago, my kids and I have made them several times since.

Paper Plate Ladybugs

You will need

2 paper plates
acrylic paint in black and your choice of colors
Paint brush
paper fastener
2 large wiggle eyes
glue stick
fun black patterned fabric
black felt
scissors

What you do

Paint one paper plate black and the other whatever color you choose. Red is traditional for ladybugs, but you can get colorful like we did if you like. Set aside to dry.

While the paint is drying, use scissors to cut different sized circles or ovals out of the black fabric. You will need approximately 12 circles for each ladybug. Set aside.

From black felt, cut out half a circle for the head.

Once paint has dried, take the color paper plate (not the black one) and cut it in half. Line the two halves up with the black paper plate and spread the “wings” open a bit. Hold at the top and carefully poke a hoe through the top of the wings and through the black plate underneath. Still holding it in place, push the fastener through the hole and secure.

Glue the circles onto the colored wings. Glue the head over the top of the wings to hide the fastener. Glue wiggle eyes onto the head.

Amanda’s Notes: You may substitute the black polka dot fabric we used with black felt, craft foam or construction paper. If you don’t have wiggle eyes on hand, make your own out of white and black felt or craft foam.

I’m participating in the following blog carnivals this week. Be sure to stop by and see what other amazing talent is out there!

Comments

1. HoneyB says

These are adorable! Almost makes me want grandkids around to do crafts with. ;) LOL. I won't pressure my kids though!

2. [email protected] says

Aww, those are way cute! The paper plate is so amazing. What can't it do?? Thanks so much for this, I'll be linking.

3. Craftify It! says

Just found you from a soft place to land! LOVE your blog! I teach preschool, so I will be back OFTEN for ideas! I think we will do your leprechaun hats tomorrow! THANKS:)

4. Lanie Ree says

SO cute! I just love these. And what a kid friendly craft :)

Thank you for linking up to A Little Craft Therapy with Life in the Pitts.

5. Lori says

Those are just wonderful. Another great project from ya!!

Thanks for joining Get Your Craft on Thurs. Please come by next week for another great party.
    Lori

6. Kevin and Angie says

These are REALLY cute!! So creative!! We have a ladybug website, Everything-Ladybug.com, and would love to post these in our craft section with a link back to your blog! Please let us know if this is okay with you and we will get it up on the site! Thanks!

7. Jenn says

These are really cute! I’ve got a new MckLinky party called Tot Tuesdays which started today. I hope you'll stop by & share:

Cheers,
Jenn

8. jenjen says

What a cute craft to do with the kids. I will give it a whirl over Spring Break! Thanks!!

Thanks so much for linking up to my party! I really appreciate it!

XOXO
    Jen

9. Barbara @ Modern Comfort Food says

A wonderful use of an everyday object that children of any age are sure to love. I particularly like the bold graphic design. Great work, Amanda!

10. Amazing_Grace says

I have my 1st grade CCD students make these lady bugs for the Bible story the Good Samaritan. It is to remind us to "love others". They always enjoy making them and I think it really gets the point across. :)