Halloween Hand Print Ghoul Banner

Halloween brings out the creativity in me more than any other time of year. Not even Christmas conjures of the ideas that go through my head at Halloween. If you visit this blog regularly, you know I am obsessed with creating fun crafts for kids that use inexpensive or recycled supplies. I know that when I was a young mother I didn’t want to have to run out to the craft store just to make a project with my little ones, especially with the attention spans they had. Much like my other kid’s projects, this hand print craft uses very minimal supplies, most of which you probably have on hand. Shall we get on with it then?

Halloween Hand Print Ghoul Banner

Construction paper: white, black, yellow, green, red, purple, black and orange
Black marker (or crayon)
White paint pen (or crayon)
Scissors
Glue stick

On any one of the colored papers trace your child’s hand. Stack green, yellow, purple, red, orange and black sheets on top of each other with the traced hand print sheet on top.

Tip: to keep the sheets together you can paper clip them on all four sides.

Cut out the handprint, cutting through all six sheets at once. If you prefer, do each one individually or only 2 or 3 at once. Whatever works best for you!

With fingers of the cut outs pointing downward, have children draw faces on the hand prints.

Fold a sheet of white construction paper in half lengthwise. Open up and cut along crease. Attach the two lengths of white paper together with glue stick, end to end.

Repeat this step with a sheet of black paper as well, only this time after folding in half, trim off about 1/2″ from the long ends and the same on the short ends. The idea is to make the black the foreground color, placing it on top of the white banner, making the white banner the border.

After you trim the black sheet, go ahead and cut it in half lengthwise like you did with the white one and glue on top of the white sheets.

Attach the hand print ghouls to the bottom of the banner with glue stick. Use white paint pen or white crayon to write Happy Halloween across the banner. Hang!

You might also like:
Recycled Bread Tag Monsters (from me)
Handprint Spider (from About.com)

Tags:

51 Responses to Halloween Hand Print Ghoul Banner

Anonymous says:

Adorable! makin' one tomorrow. Thanks

John, Anna & Rebecca says:

What a cute idea! I host a childrens preschool art class and I think we will have to do this craft! I love it!

Anna

Jean says:

This is so cute. I think my niece would like to make something like this.

Jenny @ Embellishing Life says:

Now this is cute! Loving your blog. I am now your newest follower :)

Thanks you guys!

Lorie says:

Amanda! I love it! We are going to have to use that idea tomorrow night for Family night! I think I will make them as a garland for my fireplace!

Lorie says:

PS – Thanks for linking up to Show and Tell Saturday!!

Amy says:

Love it! We will be making this at our house!

Thanks so much Lorie! Would love to see it if you made it!

Thanks Amy! Would love to see yours too!

artsy_momma says:

I love it! And I love that I have never seen that idea before :)

Thanks! That's a great compliment coming from the handprint craft queen! :))

Kathryn says:

I love this idea! Thanks for sharing this with us.

Sandra says:

Cute. I love the idea of making using handprints. We used to take our daughter's handprints every year but dropped the tradition years back. (I have no idea why). Love it.

Anji* says:

What a lovely idea! They look really cool and spooky!

Thanks you guys! :)

Megan says:

What a darling banner! You do the best kids crafts. I love all your ideas

Jenglamgirl says:

how cute and creative. I love that the kids are involved too. Great job. Jen

Krista says:

Cuteness galore! I'm makin' one tomorrow with my three year old! Thanks!

Jennifer Juniper says:

It will be so fun to pull these out every year and compare hand prints!

Becky @ Our Sweet Peas says:

Love this. I will be doing this with my twin boys. I love handprint crafts to remind me of how they are growing from year to year. Thanks!

RosannaRox says:

SO So CUTE!! Totally making this TODAY!! Halloween Crafts all week!

Daisy Day says:

We love this!! So fun…so easy….so going to make one!! You are amazing.

Sassy Sites! says:

Super cute! I found you at the Today's Creative Blog hop! Come by and visit me at Sassy Sites! We have a giveaway going on AND a header contest. Come by and check it out. xoxo

Marni @ Sassy Sites!

RedTedArt says:

You are the Halloween Queen!! So many fabulous ideas!!! And all as "easy as the next", but so great to look at!

Maggy

Megan @ Polish The Stars.com says:

I love all of your Halloween crafts and I can't wait to try some of them out for myself! I just wanted to let you know that I passed a blog award on to you! :) http://www.polishthestars.com/2010/09/pinching-pennies-and-blog-awards.html

Lori@Paisley Passions says:

What a cute idea!!! I really like how that turned out. It would be a great idea for a teacher to use in a classroom too!

~Lori @ Paisley Passions
    Paisley Passions Linky Party Thrilling Thursdays

amandab says:

What a great and simple decoration. Sadly, Halloween isn't that popular over in Oz :(

Cristie says:

So cute, what a great idea.

Tanya says:

This is very cute…I might just have to try this with my boys :)

Connie says:

I love that idea. My 7yr daughter made one today. It's going on my blog and I'll refer back to you.

Thanks for sharing.

Danielle Hunter says:

These are fun! I would love to do this project with my girls and I'll be sharing the link on my blog tomorrow!

Thank you all so much!

Michelle says:

Jason has been telling me you had a craft blog as well as a food one and I FINALLY remembered to check it out! You have some really great ideas, and I LOVE this one. I've been looking for a simple Halloween craft to do with my CCD preschoolers, and this would be perfect!

~Michelle (Jay's wife) :)

Hi Michelle! Glad you made it over and that you like this project! :) It's definitely an easy one that kids will really like. Thanks for coming by, I hope the kids enjoy it!

Michelle says:

I'm sure they will! I think I'm going to make it even easier by pre-cutting eye and mouth shapes so that all they have to do is pick and choose which ones they'd like. Maybe even have some google eyes. Won't have them make the whole banner, just the hands for them to take home. This is such a nice, simple idea for the younger kids to do. I look forward to seeing what other ideas you have on here!

~Michelle

Thanks again Michelle!

Anonymous says:

We made this in our after-school program. The children had a great time with this one. The expressions on the ghosts where a hoot!

Sounds like so much fun, so glad they had a good time!

melissa says:

Cute idea! You have been linked on my blog! Thanks for sharing!

[...] Bread Tag Monsters Juice Box Monsters Monster Treat Bags Jack O’Lantern TV Halloween Hand Print Ghoul Banner Monster Brownies // Tags: adult, crafts, holidays, jar crafts, [...]

[...] the instructions, click here–and check out other awesome easy-to-make crafts on the same [...]

MamaGames says:

Thanks for the fun craft with supplies I could send my daughter into the other room to grab! :) We made this banner this afternoon and the kids are so proud. I Pinned your post, hope that’s okay!

[...] заимствована из блога Аманды gran0281 | No comments | Tags: праздник, [...]

[...] adore these ghouls made from outlines of the kids hands. The original Halloween Hand Print Ghoul Banner can be made as shown or you could make a garland out of the hands alone. This craft would be great [...]

[...] In einem Blog habe ich einen Vorschlag gesehen, wie man aus Handabdrucken und jede Menge Tonpapier/Fotokarton blitzschnell eine schöne Halloween-Deko bastelt. Amandas Idee habe ich abgewandelt, denn: Sie zeichnet die Hand ihres Kindes einmal auf Tonpapier nach, klammert dann mehrere Lagen Tonpapier auf einander und schneidet die Hand zig mal aus. Verzieren, Schriftzug drüber: fertig. [...]

[…] Happy Halloween Ghoul Handprint Banner | Crafts By […]