Burlap & Doily Luminaries: Rustic meets Romance

Doilies are dainty. Candles are romantic. Burlap is rustic. Here I’ve combined all of them to make these pretty luminaries that would be great for a romantic Valentine’s Day meal or even as a wedding reception accent. Play around with different ribbons, buttons, twine and burlap while experimenting with various doily designs as well.

I found my doilies at the thrift store for about $0.35 each. I tried paper doilies but they aren’t as pretty and they are solid in the center, missing the lovely designs that real doilies possess. Because I only had a few doilies on hand, I only put them on one side of the jar, however you could place them on both sides if you like. They look lovely on their own or with a lit tea light glowing inside.

Burlap and Doily Luminaries

Glass jars
Adhesive spray (like Elmer’s Craft Bond)
Doilies
Burlap
Twine, buttons, and/or ribbon

Make sure your jars are clean and dry. Spray the jar with adhesive spray. EDITED: A commenter, Peechee, suggested spraying the doily rather than the jar to avoid having dust particles etc cling to the glass where the doily doesn’t touch. I think that’s an excellent idea! I haven’t tried it myself, but would love to know how it works out if someone does try that. EDITED AGAIN: Have heard from another visitor that in fact spraying the doily works great!

Funny thing is I tried this project with paper doilies first and I DID spray the paper doily and then place it on the jar. No idea why I didn’t do that with the real doily. Duh! The only problem I could see would be that the doily might flop onto itself causing it to stick to itself. so maybe instead spray the doily, leave it on the table, then place the jar onto the doily!

Place the doily onto the jar and position it, making sure it’s not bunched up anywhere. Press in place.

Spray the rim with adhesive, then wrap the jar rim with burlap.

You can also wrap the rim with pretty ribbon then tie a piece of twine around the rim as well. Tie them both in a bow.

Another option is to use the canning jar lid, then wrap that with twine or loose threads from your burlap. Thread two of the ends through a button and tie in a knot.

244 Responses to Burlap & Doily Luminaries: Rustic meets Romance

Michelle Cummings says:

pretty! thanks for sharing!

Donna~One Simple Country Girl says:

Love this! Very romantic, easy, and pretty! Thanks for sharing!
    Hugs,
    Donna

Jane says:

These are gorgeous!! If I can find some doilies, I am making these for February. So pretty!!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com says:

So so pretty Amanda!!! I shared it on my TT&J FB page :)

xoxo
    Jen

Anonymous says:

i love them :)

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper says:

these are so pretty, amanda!

Kim's Treasures says:

I really love these! : )

Dragonfly Treasure says:

Very pretty! Great idea, thanks for sharing
    *hugs8deb

Elizabeth says:

So pretty! We are doing a fireplace makeover and these would be fun on the mantel! Would love for you to come visit me at Sew Chatty and link up to Made with Love Monday. I host every week. I am leaving the party open longer this week so that people can link up multiple projects if they wish to. Hope to see you there! http://sewchatty.blogspot.com

Tara says:

sooo cute!

Michele {The Scrap Shoppe} says:

Amanda! These are gorgeous! Great deal on the doilies, too. I love the one with the button!

Balbina says:

You are a very creative person. Candlestick beautiful. Regards from Polish

Michael - Innkeeper says:

love me some mason jars! even more with your added touch! thanks for sharing.

Megan says:

These would be so pretty at a wedding. Luv 'em

RecycleCindy says:

Such a lovely and beautiful way to decorate a mason jar. I love the project. Thanks for sharing another wonderful tutorial.

Its So Very Cheri says:

It's Cheri and I am visiting from the CSI. I am enteries number 86, 87, 88 and 89.

Amanda what an interesting way to filter the light.

Cheri from http://www.itssoverycheri.com and http://www.thediyclub.com

Anonymous says:

How lovely. Thank you.

Gerti

Tiffiny Felix says:

These are so cute! You are the luminarie queen! I'm amazed by the ideas you come up with :)

Peechee says:

Those are SO adorable. I'm definitely going to give it a try, but I do have a question…

You sprayed adhesive on the glass jar. Isn't it still sticky in between the empty spaces of the doily? Could you have sprayed the doily instead and then place it on the jar? I'm just worried that dust will stick to the empty spaces.

Peechee – That actually is a brilliant idea! I did have a few issues of some tiny hairs (from the twine and burlap) and some dust sticking to the excess adhesive. So yes, super smart – spray the doilies first!

Life's Sweeter with Chocolate says:

Love this!

These are amazing, what a great idea, and would look perfect on my fireplace. Your whole site is inspiring, I really want to try the french inspired word art, would look super cute in the kitchen!

I shall be following your blog to see what other amazing ideas you have!

Lori@KitchenFunk says:

Amanda, I love these!! I was just admiring the Halloween votives and was planning to do them next year – I look forward to doing these right now. Cute!

Sue says:

I love this, Amanda! I wish I had just even a teeny bit of your creativity!

Michelle@Somedaycrafts says:

These are gorgeous! I think this is my favorite project I've seen with doilies so far. I am featuring this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com.

KJ@letsgoflyakite says:

Visiting from Someday Crafts. These are beautiful and I just had to tell you!

Krystal says:

These are amazingly beautiful. What a geat idea! I'm featuring this post on my blog tomorrow if you'd like to check it out.

sassysanctuary.blogspot.com

Angie @ The Country Chic Cottage says:

I love these Amanda!! I am a sucker for mason jars!!

Elizabeth says:

In doing this type of thing to glass jars or items, I like to use either a sugar water or spray starch as my "adhesive" so that I can take it all off when I don't need them anymore! I just dip the doily into the sugar water (heavy syrup) or spray a lot of spray starch on the doily. Works great for me.

Dixie Mom says:

I found your link through someday crafts…these are so darling. What a great idea.

Creative Ambitions says:

I love this idea! They turned out so pretty! May have to try this!

Kendra

Cammy says:

These are just gorgeous! Thanks for sharing with us!

taidyeoriginal says:

saw these on someday crafts and I LOVE them! I am your newest follower! ~tai @ taidye original

Elizabeth – that's a great idea! The spray adhesive actually isn't totally permanent (I don't think). I had placed one on a jar and didn't like the way it came out, so I was able to remove it easily. Of course that was after only 15-20 minutes of it being on there, not sure how easily they will come off after days and days of sitting. However, I would imagine you could soak them in hot or warm water and the glue would release.

Thank you all SO much for all of your wonderful comments!!

Sue Ann says:

Super CUTE!!!! I have so much burlap this would be a great way to use some of it!!! I will have to hit some garage sales for some jars and such!!!

Beverly @ FlamingoToes.com says:

Love these Amanda! I think they are so great. ;) I featured them today on my Crush of the Week post!

Curtains In My Tree says:

beautiful I am heading right down stairs and getting my jars out and my spray glue and my ribbons and my lace out and making a couple friends these for a gift.

Thanks for the pretty idea

Janice

Blue Ridge Altered Art says:

I love these. They would have made lovely gifts for Christmas. Will save this idea for next year. I have some heart shape doilies and I think I will make some for valentines. Thanks for sharing. ~~Sherry~~

Jenn Erickson says:

What a beautiful project! I love the way the light shines through the delicate lace. Great tutorial! You and I were both featured over at Flamingo Toes, and I just had to stop by, say hi, and pay my regards! Happy Friday! Jenn

Lianne says:

Hello,
    Just wanted to let you know that I have awarded you with an award because I love your blog. Please stop by and check it out.

Thanks and God Bless
    Lianne

Mod Podge Amy says:

AMANDA! I love these. What a gorgeous decorating idea! -MP Amy

FancieStrands says:

You did an awesome job. I love them.

Linda says:

These jars are beautiful! What a lovely idea. I hope I can make a few of these for my home.
    Thanks so much for sharing!

the 30 girl says:

These are too cute! Such a clever idea!

Sweet Bee Cottage says:

Very pretty!

Laurie says:

Amanda, I just love these! I'm going to have to try them myself. Thanks so much for the creative inspiration and God bless you and yours in 2011!

Anna @ Blissful Whimsy says:

These are absolutely darling :o)

Melissa F says:

These are so beautiful and dainty. They look like something even us non-"crafty" people could do!

L says:

These remind me of firefly jars…Would love for you to add it to my link party The Treasurista's Thursday Treasures. http://www.thetreasurista.blogspot.com

IndieSpotting says:

I love these – especially the one with the button! Thanks for sharing!

Sue from Oregon says:

What a beautiful idea!

Upscale Downhome says:

I really like this idea and how the fabrics juxtapose against eachother–elegant and rustic at the same time. When the light shines through it looks wonderful. I'll have to find a way to use this in my home. Thanks for posting!

Anonymous says:

These are BEAUTIFUL !! I can think of many ways that these would look lovely for. One way is to buy those LED battery operated tea candles to put in the jars. ( no worry of fire )… with the LED's it would provide a warm and cozy night-light in any room… gorgeous in a new babys room.
    Another idea is use small jars with the LED's and place them along tables for Wedding Table Center pieces.

TCahal says:

These were so beautiful I decided to make a couple of my own…I wish I would have taken my jars with me when I was picking out doilies…they don't have the fit I was looking for but all in all I think I like them and will probably end up making a few more. I sprayed the doilies with the adhesive and that seemed to work pretty good vs spraying the jars. TFS!

• 54.1
      Nancy Dreher says:

My daughter is getting married in March. Instead of using the paperbags and doiles, we have decided to try the jars instead! Can you share with me/us where we can find fabric doilies? I have looked on different websites, but thought I’d see if I have missed one! Thanks…

• admin says:

I’ve never looked at stores for the doilies, I just look at thrift stores. Antique stores will have them too. I’ve seen them on eBay as well, but consignment shops and thrift stores are probably going to be your best bet :)

Get Nestled In says:

I've been seeing this featured EVERYWHERE it seems! What a beautiful project, just beautiful!! :)

Charm Bracelet Diva says:

I am SO loving this idea!

TCahal – So glad to know that spraying the doilies worked well! Thank you!

Thank you ALL for your kind comments, I appreciate every single one of them!

Jenny says:

LOVE these! I am book marking these to make for Christmas gifts next year!

One Cheap B*tch says:

So pretty! Love this look and would love to try to make them too!

Jeanine

Maria Luisa Artesanatos says:

I love these, Amanda!! Your button is on my blog.
    Visit me!
    Maria Luisa

Tasty Eats At Home says:

Amanda, I love these! So cute.

Erin @ Crafts and Sutch says:

Hi Amanda! I love this project and gave you some link love over at Crafts & Sutch today! I hope you'll stop by to take a peek and grab a SUTCH an Inspiration button. :)

Have a wonderful week!
    Erin

Amy of WhisperWood Cottage and Junkologie says:

Love the mix of materials! I appreciate you linking up to the 1st Project of the Year Party! Please add the party button to your post so you are eligible to win and be featured. Thanks so much, Amanda!

Tea Jurković says:

This is so lovelly :) i'm linking it to my DIY blog!!

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming says:

Amanda – These are so precious! One of my CSI favorites! Thanks so much for linking up to The Sunday showcase party – I have featured this today. Stop by and grab a featured button if you like. Hope you have a wonderful week ~ Stephanie Lynn

Stephanie Mosselman says:

Hey, I just featured this project on my blog, Beauty From Ashes.
    Check it out!

Etcetorize says:

Ooooh! I really love the look of these. They'll fit right in with my porch make-over. Thanks~

Recycled Rita says:

I love these doily luminaries! I can't wait to make them! thanks for the inspiration! karen…

dreamalittle says:

Such a lovely idea!

kayla says:

Oh my, these are so pretty!! Would be perfect decor for a wedding reception!

FrederIque says:

I have never really like these dollies, but this idea makes them gorgeous to me, really ! I will look at them with a different eye now… THank you for the idea

Eva Marie Harp says:

Neat idea. Doilies are so fun. I am so in to them right now. Thank you for the post.

Tabitha says:

I just made some lace covered jars that are very similiar to these. I used modpodge instead of spray adhesive and I didn't add an embellishment at the rim. I really like the trim, though and I think I'll add it…it's the perfect touch. I'll be sure to link back to you! Thanks!

Kimbo West @ a girl and a glue gun says:

I featured this on my blog today!!!

Gio says:

It's so beautiful!
    I'm going to put a link to this wonderful tutorial on my blog with credits of course. Hope it's okay for you.

Thanks for sharing.

Savvy Deets Bridal says:

This is so charming! Love it!

Tricotbel says:

C'est très joli, j'adore, je mets dans mes favoris pour te retrouver. Merci

marianna says:

love it!

valeriaporopat says:

Hi! You've been featued here http://wp.me/p1hRux-2x

Craft Medley says:

Love this idea! Did you spray the jars with some frosting effect first to make them more opaque?

xoxo Maria

Hi Maria! No actually that was from the spray adhesive that I used to add the doilies, it put a film on the glass.

two birds says:

i just posted this as one of my favorite things this week on our blog. what a great idea!!

MakeupbyThess says:

Love it! super pretty =)

Jacee says:

Very pretty! Thanks for sharing.

Lisa says:

If you don't need it to be as permanent, you can dip the doily in liquid fabric starch and lay it on the jar. When dry, it'll be stuck to it but can be peeled off.

I've used this trick w/ cottong fabric to cover the back wall of display cases or bookshelves when I had a shop and wanted it festive for the holidays or such.

Good idea lisa, thanks for sharing that :) The spray adhesive actually does the same thing, it's not permanent :)

bronwen says:

this is a PERFECT "free" craft for our Super Saturday Craft day coming up. Thank you!!

[...] burlap & doily luminaries via craftsbyamanda [...]

Illy says:

I just love the simplicity and beauty of them. thanks for sharing..

[...] simple and even better – budget friendly.  If you are feeling crafty, you can see the tutorials here and [...]

Amanda Reynolds says:

These are so cute and thanks for sharing with us how to make these. Years ago I use to make these jars with pinecones and christmas lights that were cozy with the Christmas tree while all other lights were turned off. I would have them sitting around at random. I love your idea with dolies. Thanks Again!

Breena Bogikes says:

The jars are beautiful! I am always looking for ideas for my students to do for a parent gift for Christmas. The doilies remind me of snowflakes. Do you have any suggestions for 3rd graders? You mentioned trying it with paper doilies, did it work ok? I was also wondering if the Mod Podge might be better for the kids? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for your great, creative ideas!

leslie says:

This has my mind whirling with ideas… modpodge lace on the outside of the jars and put string of white xmas lights inside! Maybe even wrap a red ribbon on the top… I am gonna do this!

[...] 2: Doily jars, Painted jars, Colourful pose in a jar, A wedding full of [...]

[...] Lovely Inspiration {via}{via}{via}{via}{via}{via}{via}{via}{via}  [...]

Shelley d says:

Hi,
    These are beautiful. But I would be concerned about the glue becoming toxic when the bottle got warm. Just a thought.
    Shelley

• 96.1
      Amanda Formaro says:

Hi Shelley. If using the spray adhesive concerns you, you can use something like Mod Podge or even white glue. Thanks for stopping by :)

gonnabe40 says:

so pretty! thanks so much for this lovely idea

[...] Tannenzapfen, Kräutern und altem Zeitungspapier. [Für Recyclingfreunde und Grillmeister.] >>>5. Teelichthalter aus Omas Spitzendeckchen und Gurkenglas. [Für ewige Romantiker.] >>>6. Ein [...]

[...] mit Actionfigur oder sonstigem Spielzeug, inklusive Glitzer-Feenstaub. [Für Superhelden.] >>>7. Teelichthalter aus Omas Spitzendeckchen und Gurkenglas. [Für ewige Romantiker.] >>>8. [...]

[...] out (the super sweet) Amanda’s full post with full directions and tons of updated tips here: Burlap & Doily Luminaries and look around the rest of her fantastic blog which is FILLED with wonderful DIY [...]

[...] not kidding. Take a t-shirt and add a doily to it. Take a jar and add a doily to it. Take a cushion and add a doily to it. In fact, I was reading a tutorial that I really liked. [...]

Renee says:

These are darling…..I would love to share on my blog if you don’t mind. I love re-purposing and thrift stores.

Erika says:

Where have you found the best deals on doilies? I was hoping to do this for wedding decorations. Let me know!

[...] detailed instructions visit Crafts by Amanda. I was skeptical that the spray adhesive so I tested a couple other glues first which turned out [...]

Lieve says:

I really enjoyed making these! And enjoying the result even more :-)

A useful hint: I ironed the doilies before sticking them onto the jars, as to make them they perfectly flat = easy to stick on the jar.

I had romantic candle lights with a slightly sexy accent in mind… Here’s the result! http://lievewoordjes.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/lichtjes.jpg

Thanks a lot for the great idea! :o)

[...] , 2.- Design Chic , 3.- Horchov, 4.- Mothology ,         5.- Amanda White Photography , 6.- Crafts by Amanda , 7.- kirklands.com , 8.- valentina , 9.- Connected fair trade , 10.- [...]

Renee says:

I love the black idea…this is what is so great about sharing ideas is because someone can always add their twist and it then becomes apart of their creativeness.

Melba Cliffman says:

These are beautiful. I crochet beaded doilies and I will try one of these. Thanks for the idea.

REBECCA MACIJOWSKY says:

These are great. I “tea soaked” the dollies and they are stunning. What a great idea. Will be using for a bridal showe centerpieces!

[...] OH we have to have one more that I found over at Crafts by Amanda. [...]

Kelly Madsen says:

I use Modge Podge adhesive a lot and would think it would be perfect for this project. It’s easier and less messy for me to brush glue on than spray it.

Cheri Burton says:

I used a glue gun and wrapped lace and ribbons on small jars and added a led tea light. So cute!

Terry Tinker says:

What a great idea. There are thousands & thousands of beautiful doilies just sitting around out there. This is a great way to show them off.

Emme says:

I love this idea. I too make jar lights and this is a new idea. Thank you for sharing.

Diba says:

I absolutely love these but I’m just curious how easy it is to light the tea light candles in the bottom of the large mason jar?

Hayley says:

This is exactly what I’ve been envisioning as my wedding centerpieces but couldn’t find anyway to make it work. Thank you so much for posting this! They are absolutely beautiful and can be used for so much!

Peabea says:

I crochet doilies and absolutely love your idea for using my extra. Could even put in little gifts when giving as a present if don’t want to do the tealight. I like the idea to use the non-burning little tealights as tealights might make the inside black and harder to wash out.

Very original…

[...] Here is the tutorial for these Doily/burlap candle votives. [...]

Pam says:

Thanks for this awesome idea. My mom passed last July & she had a sewing room full of stuff & I used some of her lace, ribbons & buttons to make all my brothers & sisters ..yes there are 8… a jar as a memory gift of our Awesome Mom !!!!!

[...] hur man enkelt gör sina egna ljuslyktor på Craft by Amanda och dessa ska vi verkligen ha på vårt bröllop. Förstå hur fint det kommer vara i den [...]

[...] Kul idé! Hur man gör spetsduksbrukar finns beskrivet här. [...]

[...] come questo. Incollandoli sopra o all’interno di contenitori in vetro si possono realizzare dei portacandele; un po’ frou-frou, ma all’aperto farebbero la loro figura. Tra le soluzioni che mi hanno [...]

[...] crafted mats for dressing tables, and sideboards. When I came across this brilliant idea on Crafts by Amanda blog, I had to have a go. If you go to the link, you’ll see a much better ‘how to’ [...]

[...] Burlap Doily Lanters via Crafts by Amanda [...]

Samara says:

I love the variety of lace/materials on your jars. I did a similar thing however used smaller jars for tea light candles and found that I didn’t actually need to glue the whole thing- just enough at the join. I also found that using smaller jars meant that you could just use lace ribbon, which was quick and cheap :-)

Samara

I’ve included the link the the blog post I wrote about it…

Cat says:

I just love these! We are getting married in July and these will be perfect for our garden party afterwards. Plenty of time to go around the charity shops/second hand shops to find everything I need and make loads as we have a very big garden! I just know the kids will love making these with us!

These would look great on my kitchen table lit or unlit!

I love this project and featured it in a collection of Doily Projects!

Susan @ Oh My! Creative

[...] from Crafts By Amanda comes a VERY shabby chic look.. burlap, doilies, and mason jars.  There are lots of potential ways to design these [...]

[...] a wonderful idea by Crafts by Amanda that turns plain jars into beautiful home décor items using [...]

These are adorable!
    I am always on the lookout for crafts using Mason jars and I can’t wait to try these.

I am going to use them inside AND outside. I’ve lit candles inside Mason jars in the garden before, but never thought to attach anything to the jars. These are going to be the prettiest twinkling lights ever.
    Makes me wish summer would hurry up and get here :)

Thanks for the inspiration.

[...] If you like the idea of using Mason jars in your wedding décor but need step-by-step instructions, here are three links that may be helpful. There is a tutorial on how to paint Mason jars and wire them to hang, as well as other creative projects for your wedding and for your home: Tatertots and Jello, HomeDIT, and Oh Lovely Day. Instructions for making the doily candles shown in the last collage can be found at Crafts by Amanda. [...]

[...] Doilies in Jar image credit to Crafts by Amanda. Please visit her website to see step by step [...]

[...] The instructions and list of materials can be found at Crafts by Amanda. [...]

[...] d’Epson, un projet de CRAFTS BY AMANDA 14. Une autre création, avec de la dentelle, de CRAFTS BY AMANDA 15. suspendu par DIY WEDDING 16. pailleté par THE SWEETEST OCCASION (photo Paige Newton [...]

Helen says:

These are beautiful!! I crochet so I was thinking of making very small doilies and putting them on baby food jars or small jelly jars. Great gift ideas!!

Krynne says:

This is pretty cool! I’ve crocheted a few doilies and always love finding new ways to use them. Seeing as how mason jars are pretty expensive to buy here new and are rare to find (in decent shape) used I’m thinking of trying this idea out on various other glass food jars such as the ones used for pickles, mayonnaise, and kimchi. Just wash the jars out well after use, remove the labels (you can soak them of in hot water) and voila! Thanks for the idea :)

[...] found a box of mason jars at a yard sale and took a few home with me. I came across this blog post a while before that and wanted to try out the project so figured with a 50 cent investment and [...]

[...] After surfing on the internet I found some awesome websites with free gorgeous crafts projects. Do you need some new craft ideas? Then visit these great websites! Romantic Burlap and Doily luminaries, with free instructions [...]

Tracy Bennett says:

Good Morning/Afternoon. I’m making my own doilies… and will be putting them on jars for center pieces for a wedding/wedding shower…
    These are just beautiful.. Thank you for the idea and the modifications and directions, etc..

have a blessed day.

[...] burlap doily luminaries , made by using small handmade mats that we generally use as the table [...]

orachel says:

Thanks so much for the lovely idea! I was just looking for inexpensive gorgeous atmospheric lighting cause my guy is coming to visit from cross country, and don’t have much moola to set the mood. These are perfect! Also thinking they’d be great to burn something like sage in with a little tin holder placed in the bottom. Really clever, and gorgeous result!

[...] These are a little bit pretty! Find out how to make your own burlap and doily luminaries at Crafts by Amanda [...]

Judy Taylor says:

I tried to make these. Used the same adhesive spray. The doily will not stick to the jar. Any ideas or should I try another adhesive?

• 144.1

Hi Judy. I found that exact spray to be very tacky, so if yours didn’t work I would actually take it back to the store and return it. Other factors could have been that your doilies were damp or the jars were wet.

[...] Crafts by Amanda makes delicate feminine looking luminaries from burlap, doilies, and [...]

Dot says:

These are lovely – found you through links on Facebook AND Pinterest. I am wondering how it would work if you sprayed the doilies, and then affixed them to the inside of the jar – would keep them from getting dusty/dirty over time/use.

[...] doily jars?! We love them and we found a diy tutorial that is simple and easy to follow. Visit Crafts by Amanda for [...]

[...] 18th Burlap & Doily Luminaries: Rustic meets Romance | Crafts by Amanda Lena, wife to Sam (SGT Hall), Momma to my fur baby, Rollie, & my 10 Angels Join me on [...]

[...] EAT Sign}  {Burlap and Doily Luminaries}  {Valentine Tea Bag and Printable}  Amanda is so welcoming and talented, you will love [...]

[...] {Finding Home}  {Hoosier Homemade}    {Smile Monsters} {Crafts by Amanda} {Homework} {Today’s Fabulous Finds} {Remake with Ranae} [...]

[...] Photo and idea from Crafts by Amanda. [...]

Laurie says:

I can’t use the spray glues due to asthma. Do you thing Mod Podge would glue them on the glass without making it cloudy?

• 154.1

Yes I think it would, though I haven’t tried that. BUT I would suggest laying the doily flat on the table, applying the Mod Podge to the doily and then laying the jar onto the doily so that it grabs. Then lay the jar on its side and adjust the doily if needed. Let it dry like that, laying down, so that there are less chance of drips.

Bambi Hartman says:

Amanda, to avoid the doily folding over on its self lay the doily out flat on some parchment paper spray it and lay the jar onto the doily, gently rolling it from side to side.
    These are beautiful and can be used all year long. Thanks for the idea.

Janet Brown says:

This is aa beautiful idea and everyone of the is a little different… Instead of candles I put a small string of Christmas lights on a timer inside… Works great for a night light and looks great with my old fashion bedroom furniture.. love it

Evan M says:

WOW, what a creative use for mason jars and doilies. Would look good at a nice country or victorian wedding, placing these all over the room…Very nice, wish I was as creative as you…Thank you for sharing.

Renee says:

I work at an Antique’s & More/Flea Market. Going to make several of these, and alter some for the different seasons & holidays. For example ; add birds & flowers-Spring; seashells and sand-Summer; fall foliage, pumkins, gourds, & indian corn-Fall; snowflakes, pine cones, mistletoe, Christmas balls, & holly-Winter; and HOLIDAYS: hearts, pearls & lace-Valentines; Mardi Gras beads & dubloons-Mardi Gras; Colored Eggs, easter grass, rabbits, & crosses-Easter; Flags, fireworks-Independence Day; jack-o-lanterns, witches, bats, & ghost-Halloween….. May even take orders for Mother’s & Father’s Day special jars, for example kids pictures on the jars…. Hmmm…. Maybe made to look like a family tree.

Thanks so much for the wonderful idea, you’ve jump started all sorts of craft projects for me. Lol =)

Renee says:

*one more idea: may take things from a trip spent with my best friend & give her a special gift for her upcoming birthday. One that will bring back many happy memories.
    Thanks again =)

[...] the men with doilies and glass jars as you assist them with making prettydoily luminaries that look like snowflakes. Use battery-operated lights to [...]

[...] idea room how cute is this? honest! I want one Crafts by Amanda these mason jars are BEAUTIFUL! I’m loving doilies…may have to run over to my [...]

[...] are lots of tutorials out there for this kind of thing (like the one above), but I thought I would just share the process I took and show you the end [...]

[...] Jeg søker mye inspirasjon på nettet og bruker spesielt Pinterest flittig. Der kom jeg over disse og disse flotte lyktene og følte at det var noe jeg kunne prøve meg på. Jeg er veldig fan av [...]

[...] Burlap & Doily Luminaries: Rustic meets Romance [...]

[...] DIY Mason Jar Luminaries by Crafts by Amanda [...]

Judy I. Culham-Morris says:

Hi Amanda

I have large vases that held the flowers from the funerals of my family members. They are lovely almost hour-glass shaped vases, and I would like to try this on them. I have vintage doiles made by my maternal Grandma and her Mother that I would like to use. I will of course try all this on an old bottle with a cheap doily! I love your idea and definitely want to try it! Thanks!

Brandy Young says:

I just have a ? actually. I’ve recently begun saving all my glass jars for projects just like these and I think this is absolutely beautiful, however I’m having a problem removing all of the glue from the jars. I tried soaking them in vinegar and did so for a few days with no result. Will the doily still stick if I have some of the glue left on the jar, cause if so it would be a fantastic way to cover it up!!

ella liddle says:

These are adorable. Thanks for sharing. :)

Sue Kopp says:

These are waaaaayyyyyyyyyy cool! I have tons of heavy lace and also old doilies that are not in perfect shape, let’s say shabby. Will definitely do these. Thanks for the ideas!

[...] Burlap Doily Luminaries I loved this. I do have a jar filled with potpourri that has white lights in it and a doily on the top. These are nice lights with the doily glued onto the jar. Love it! [...]

[...] misiniz ? İşte kavanozlarınızı değerlendirebilceğiniz bir proje! Hemde çok şık. Burada [...]

Kathy says:

These would be a good craft for the ladies get togethers at church. Thanks for sharing. :)

Betty from Hamburg NY says:

I just finished making my jars for my golf banquet. I only have to add ribbon and they are done. I sprayed the dollies first, then put them on the jar. If you spray the jar first, you will have a hard time getting the excess glue off. Once the spray is on, the doilies stretched so easily. They look great!!

Martha Brooks says:

You can crochet the pieces to fit the jar, then just slide them over the jar and tie them with a ribbon. That way you can take them off and wash them. A fillet pattern would be nice. That way you could crochet literally any scene you wanted.

janet widerski says:

thanks for sharing. gives me an idea to start making christmas dollies.an make holiday ones..

suzanne vachon says:

they are very lovly good gift giving one ? do you put the dolly on the out side of the jar. thank you for shareing with us all.

Jane Carey says:

I’m going to try this with black lacy spider web fabric that I saw at Joann.

Paula Eick says:

I’m going to be making these this weekend. Currently, Michael’s Craft store has small doilies in various colors in their $1 bins. Just in case someone wanted a different color other than a white doily. At our local Michaels store there were yellow, green, blue, red and white to choose from.

[…] a more feminine feel by covering jars with lace and burlap or add some old-fashioned whimsy to your space with jars featuring painted […]

Linda toon says:

I’d like to try dying the doilies for special occasions, like red or green for Christmas or a brides colors or baby girl pink, yellow or baby boy shower. Possibilities are endless. You’ve got my createtivity going!!

[…] DIY project & credit to craftsbyamanda.com […]

These are delightful. As you say, dainty and rustic at the same time. I know our brides would love them. Only problem might be coming up with the fabric doilies. Thanks so much for sharing.

[…] to the tutorial: Doily Jar Luminaries via Crafts by […]

[…] Encajes de puntilla pegados con spray adhesivo via: Crafts by Amanda […]

[…] DIY Project and Photo Credit to craftsbyamanda.com  […]

Marcia says:

Thanks for sharing. I will have to try these someday soon!!

[…] Ажурные подсвечники Ледяные подсвечники Подсвечники из бумаги […]

MaryAnn Leshick says:

I am new to your site. Im thrilled to have found it. Thank you. Also, thank you for the mason jar project.

Chrissie says:

Thank you kindly! These are beautiful and not at all expensive to make. And if one crochets, they could make them to fit the occasion in color of choice as well. Blessings and Happy New Year. I think I will make one for my birthday dinner. :)

[…] 6. Doily wrapped Mason jars: Mod podge some paper (or crocheted) doilies to a Mason jar and put a tea light inside. Very romantic for Valentines! Idea from Crafts by Amanda […]

Amanda, these are so beautiful! I first discovered them on Pinterest but none of the pins linked back to the place of origin. So I found you via Google. Yeah!! Now I can pin directly back to you:) I have so many doilies and definitely have to give this a try.

[…] Wedding Candle Wrap Three DIY Bling Candle Holders Bleached Burlap Luminaries Burlap and Doily Luminaries Eucalyptus Votive 30 Second Glitter Tea Lights DIY Glittered Votives Burlap and Lace Candle […]

ann moore says:

Love your jars with the doilys on them.What kind of lights?

[…] Gorgeous luminaries that would be beautiful as a gift or even for a wedding reception.  You can design your own with your favourite ribbons.  The tutorial for this easy luminarie is here […]

[…] Романтични свещници, декорирани с дантела или ръчно плетени малки покривчици, които вече не използвате.От craftsbyamanda: […]