Burlap & Doily Luminaries: Rustic meets Romance

Doilies are dainty. Candles are romantic. Burlap is rustic. Here I’ve combined all of them to make these pretty luminaries that would be great for a romantic Valentine’s Day meal or even as a wedding reception accent. Play around with different ribbons, buttons, twine and burlap while experimenting with various doily designs as well.

I found my doilies at the thrift store for about $0.35 each. I tried paper doilies but they aren’t as pretty and they are solid in the center, missing the lovely designs that real doilies possess. Because I only had a few doilies on hand, I only put them on one side of the jar, however you could place them on both sides if you like. They look lovely on their own or with a lit tea light glowing inside.

Burlap and Doily Luminaries

Glass jars
Adhesive spray (like Elmer’s Craft Bond)
Doilies
Burlap
Twine, buttons, and/or ribbon

Make sure your jars are clean and dry. Spray the jar with adhesive spray. EDITED: A commenter, Peechee, suggested spraying the doily rather than the jar to avoid having dust particles etc cling to the glass where the doily doesn’t touch. I think that’s an excellent idea! I haven’t tried it myself, but would love to know how it works out if someone does try that. EDITED AGAIN: Have heard from another visitor that in fact spraying the doily works great!

Funny thing is I tried this project with paper doilies first and I DID spray the paper doily and then place it on the jar. No idea why I didn’t do that with the real doily. Duh! The only problem I could see would be that the doily might flop onto itself causing it to stick to itself. so maybe instead spray the doily, leave it on the table, then place the jar onto the doily!

Place the doily onto the jar and position it, making sure it’s not bunched up anywhere. Press in place.

Spray the rim with adhesive, then wrap the jar rim with burlap.

You can also wrap the rim with pretty ribbon then tie a piece of twine around the rim as well. Tie them both in a bow.

Another option is to use the canning jar lid, then wrap that with twine or loose threads from your burlap. Thread two of the ends through a button and tie in a knot.

Wedding craft

You might also like these wedding guestbook burned wood pieces, perfect for a rustic wedding, from my friend Pauline’s blog!

Comments

• Les says

for an even more “Vintage or old look” try soaking the doilies in tea…..it stains them various shades of beige…..and looks nice…

1. Elizabeth says

So pretty! We are doing a fireplace makeover and these would be fun on the mantel! Would love for you to come visit me at Sew Chatty and link up to Made with Love Monday. I host every week. I am leaving the party open longer this week so that people can link up multiple projects if they wish to. Hope to see you there! http://sewchatty.blogspot.com

2. Michele {The Scrap Shoppe} says

Amanda! These are gorgeous! Great deal on the doilies, too. I love the one with the button!

3. RecycleCindy says

Such a lovely and beautiful way to decorate a mason jar. I love the project. Thanks for sharing another wonderful tutorial.

4. Peechee says

Those are SO adorable. I'm definitely going to give it a try, but I do have a question…

You sprayed adhesive on the glass jar. Isn't it still sticky in between the empty spaces of the doily? Could you have sprayed the doily instead and then place it on the jar? I'm just worried that dust will stick to the empty spaces.

5. Amanda says

Peechee – That actually is a brilliant idea! I did have a few issues of some tiny hairs (from the twine and burlap) and some dust sticking to the excess adhesive. So yes, super smart – spray the doilies first!

6. Amanda says

These are amazing, what a great idea, and would look perfect on my fireplace. Your whole site is inspiring, I really want to try the french inspired word art, would look super cute in the kitchen!

I shall be following your blog to see what other amazing ideas you have!

7. Lori@KitchenFunk says

Amanda, I love these!! I was just admiring the Halloween votives and was planning to do them next year – I look forward to doing these right now. Cute!

8. Michelle@Somedaycrafts says

These are gorgeous! I think this is my favorite project I've seen with doilies so far. I am featuring this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com.

9. Krystal says

These are amazingly beautiful. What a geat idea! I'm featuring this post on my blog tomorrow if you'd like to check it out.

sassysanctuary.blogspot.com

10. Elizabeth says

In doing this type of thing to glass jars or items, I like to use either a sugar water or spray starch as my "adhesive" so that I can take it all off when I don't need them anymore! I just dip the doily into the sugar water (heavy syrup) or spray a lot of spray starch on the doily. Works great for me.

11. Amanda says

Elizabeth – that's a great idea! The spray adhesive actually isn't totally permanent (I don't think). I had placed one on a jar and didn't like the way it came out, so I was able to remove it easily. Of course that was after only 15-20 minutes of it being on there, not sure how easily they will come off after days and days of sitting. However, I would imagine you could soak them in hot or warm water and the glue would release.

Thank you all SO much for all of your wonderful comments!!

12. Sue Ann says

Super CUTE!!!! I have so much burlap this would be a great way to use some of it!!! I will have to hit some garage sales for some jars and such!!!

13. Curtains In My Tree says

beautiful I am heading right down stairs and getting my jars out and my spray glue and my ribbons and my lace out and making a couple friends these for a gift.

Thanks for the pretty idea

Janice

14. Blue Ridge Altered Art says

I love these. They would have made lovely gifts for Christmas. Will save this idea for next year. I have some heart shape doilies and I think I will make some for valentines. Thanks for sharing. ~~Sherry~~

15. Jenn Erickson says

What a beautiful project! I love the way the light shines through the delicate lace. Great tutorial! You and I were both featured over at Flamingo Toes, and I just had to stop by, say hi, and pay my regards! Happy Friday! Jenn

16. Linda says

These jars are beautiful! What a lovely idea. I hope I can make a few of these for my home.
    Thanks so much for sharing!

17. Laurie says

Amanda, I just love these! I'm going to have to try them myself. Thanks so much for the creative inspiration and God bless you and yours in 2011!

18. Upscale Downhome says

I really like this idea and how the fabrics juxtapose against eachother–elegant and rustic at the same time. When the light shines through it looks wonderful. I'll have to find a way to use this in my home. Thanks for posting!

19. Anonymous says

These are BEAUTIFUL !! I can think of many ways that these would look lovely for. One way is to buy those LED battery operated tea candles to put in the jars. ( no worry of fire )… with the LED's it would provide a warm and cozy night-light in any room… gorgeous in a new babys room.
    Another idea is use small jars with the LED's and place them along tables for Wedding Table Center pieces.

20. TCahal says

These were so beautiful I decided to make a couple of my own…I wish I would have taken my jars with me when I was picking out doilies…they don't have the fit I was looking for but all in all I think I like them and will probably end up making a few more. I sprayed the doilies with the adhesive and that seemed to work pretty good vs spraying the jars. TFS!

• Nancy Dreher says

My daughter is getting married in March. Instead of using the paperbags and doiles, we have decided to try the jars instead! Can you share with me/us where we can find fabric doilies? I have looked on different websites, but thought I’d see if I have missed one! Thanks…

• says

I’ve never looked at stores for the doilies, I just look at thrift stores. Antique stores will have them too. I’ve seen them on eBay as well, but consignment shops and thrift stores are probably going to be your best bet :)

21. Amanda says

TCahal – So glad to know that spraying the doilies worked well! Thank you!

Thank you ALL for your kind comments, I appreciate every single one of them!

22. Erin @ Crafts and Sutch says

Hi Amanda! I love this project and gave you some link love over at Crafts & Sutch today! I hope you'll stop by to take a peek and grab a SUTCH an Inspiration button. :)

Have a wonderful week!
    Erin

23. Amy of WhisperWood Cottage and Junkologie says

Love the mix of materials! I appreciate you linking up to the 1st Project of the Year Party! Please add the party button to your post so you are eligible to win and be featured. Thanks so much, Amanda!

24. Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming says

Amanda – These are so precious! One of my CSI favorites! Thanks so much for linking up to The Sunday showcase party – I have featured this today. Stop by and grab a featured button if you like. Hope you have a wonderful week ~ Stephanie Lynn

25. FrederIque says

I have never really like these dollies, but this idea makes them gorgeous to me, really ! I will look at them with a different eye now… THank you for the idea

26. Tabitha says

I just made some lace covered jars that are very similiar to these. I used modpodge instead of spray adhesive and I didn't add an embellishment at the rim. I really like the trim, though and I think I'll add it…it's the perfect touch. I'll be sure to link back to you! Thanks!

27. Gio says

It's so beautiful!
    I'm going to put a link to this wonderful tutorial on my blog with credits of course. Hope it's okay for you.

Thanks for sharing.

28. Craft Medley says

Love this idea! Did you spray the jars with some frosting effect first to make them more opaque?

xoxo Maria

29. Amanda says

Hi Maria! No actually that was from the spray adhesive that I used to add the doilies, it put a film on the glass.

30. Lisa says

If you don't need it to be as permanent, you can dip the doily in liquid fabric starch and lay it on the jar. When dry, it'll be stuck to it but can be peeled off.

I've used this trick w/ cottong fabric to cover the back wall of display cases or bookshelves when I had a shop and wanted it festive for the holidays or such.

31. Amanda says

Good idea lisa, thanks for sharing that :) The spray adhesive actually does the same thing, it's not permanent :)

32. Amanda Reynolds says

These are so cute and thanks for sharing with us how to make these. Years ago I use to make these jars with pinecones and christmas lights that were cozy with the Christmas tree while all other lights were turned off. I would have them sitting around at random. I love your idea with dolies. Thanks Again!

33. Breena Bogikes says

The jars are beautiful! I am always looking for ideas for my students to do for a parent gift for Christmas. The doilies remind me of snowflakes. Do you have any suggestions for 3rd graders? You mentioned trying it with paper doilies, did it work ok? I was also wondering if the Mod Podge might be better for the kids? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for your great, creative ideas!

34. leslie says

This has my mind whirling with ideas… modpodge lace on the outside of the jars and put string of white xmas lights inside! Maybe even wrap a red ribbon on the top… I am gonna do this!

35. Shelley d says

Hi,
    These are beautiful. But I would be concerned about the glue becoming toxic when the bottle got warm. Just a thought.
    Shelley

• Amanda Formaro says

Hi Shelley. If using the spray adhesive concerns you, you can use something like Mod Podge or even white glue. Thanks for stopping by :)

36. says

I love the black idea…this is what is so great about sharing ideas is because someone can always add their twist and it then becomes apart of their creativeness.

37. REBECCA MACIJOWSKY says

These are great. I “tea soaked” the dollies and they are stunning. What a great idea. Will be using for a bridal showe centerpieces!

38. Kelly Madsen says

I use Modge Podge adhesive a lot and would think it would be perfect for this project. It’s easier and less messy for me to brush glue on than spray it.

39. Terry Tinker says

What a great idea. There are thousands & thousands of beautiful doilies just sitting around out there. This is a great way to show them off.

40. Diba says

I absolutely love these but I’m just curious how easy it is to light the tea light candles in the bottom of the large mason jar?

41. Hayley says

This is exactly what I’ve been envisioning as my wedding centerpieces but couldn’t find anyway to make it work. Thank you so much for posting this! They are absolutely beautiful and can be used for so much!

42. says

I crochet doilies and absolutely love your idea for using my extra. Could even put in little gifts when giving as a present if don’t want to do the tealight. I like the idea to use the non-burning little tealights as tealights might make the inside black and harder to wash out.

Very original…

43. Pam says

Thanks for this awesome idea. My mom passed last July & she had a sewing room full of stuff & I used some of her lace, ribbons & buttons to make all my brothers & sisters ..yes there are 8… a jar as a memory gift of our Awesome Mom !!!!!

44. says

I love the variety of lace/materials on your jars. I did a similar thing however used smaller jars for tea light candles and found that I didn’t actually need to glue the whole thing- just enough at the join. I also found that using smaller jars meant that you could just use lace ribbon, which was quick and cheap :-)

Samara

I’ve included the link the the blog post I wrote about it…

45. Cat says

I just love these! We are getting married in July and these will be perfect for our garden party afterwards. Plenty of time to go around the charity shops/second hand shops to find everything I need and make loads as we have a very big garden! I just know the kids will love making these with us!

46. says

These are adorable!
    I am always on the lookout for crafts using Mason jars and I can’t wait to try these.

I am going to use them inside AND outside. I’ve lit candles inside Mason jars in the garden before, but never thought to attach anything to the jars. These are going to be the prettiest twinkling lights ever.
    Makes me wish summer would hurry up and get here :)

Thanks for the inspiration.

47. Helen says

These are beautiful!! I crochet so I was thinking of making very small doilies and putting them on baby food jars or small jelly jars. Great gift ideas!!

48. Krynne says

This is pretty cool! I’ve crocheted a few doilies and always love finding new ways to use them. Seeing as how mason jars are pretty expensive to buy here new and are rare to find (in decent shape) used I’m thinking of trying this idea out on various other glass food jars such as the ones used for pickles, mayonnaise, and kimchi. Just wash the jars out well after use, remove the labels (you can soak them of in hot water) and voila! Thanks for the idea :)

49. Tracy Bennett says

Good Morning/Afternoon. I’m making my own doilies… and will be putting them on jars for center pieces for a wedding/wedding shower…
    These are just beautiful.. Thank you for the idea and the modifications and directions, etc..

have a blessed day.

50. orachel says

Thanks so much for the lovely idea! I was just looking for inexpensive gorgeous atmospheric lighting cause my guy is coming to visit from cross country, and don’t have much moola to set the mood. These are perfect! Also thinking they’d be great to burn something like sage in with a little tin holder placed in the bottom. Really clever, and gorgeous result!

51. Judy Taylor says

I tried to make these. Used the same adhesive spray. The doily will not stick to the jar. Any ideas or should I try another adhesive?

• says

Hi Judy. I found that exact spray to be very tacky, so if yours didn’t work I would actually take it back to the store and return it. Other factors could have been that your doilies were damp or the jars were wet.

52. says

These are lovely – found you through links on Facebook AND Pinterest. I am wondering how it would work if you sprayed the doilies, and then affixed them to the inside of the jar – would keep them from getting dusty/dirty over time/use.

53. Laurie says

I can’t use the spray glues due to asthma. Do you thing Mod Podge would glue them on the glass without making it cloudy?

• says

Yes I think it would, though I haven’t tried that. BUT I would suggest laying the doily flat on the table, applying the Mod Podge to the doily and then laying the jar onto the doily so that it grabs. Then lay the jar on its side and adjust the doily if needed. Let it dry like that, laying down, so that there are less chance of drips.

54. Bambi Hartman says

Amanda, to avoid the doily folding over on its self lay the doily out flat on some parchment paper spray it and lay the jar onto the doily, gently rolling it from side to side.
    These are beautiful and can be used all year long. Thanks for the idea.

55. Janet Brown says

This is aa beautiful idea and everyone of the is a little different… Instead of candles I put a small string of Christmas lights on a timer inside… Works great for a night light and looks great with my old fashion bedroom furniture.. love it

56. Evan M says

WOW, what a creative use for mason jars and doilies. Would look good at a nice country or victorian wedding, placing these all over the room…Very nice, wish I was as creative as you…Thank you for sharing.

57. Renee says

I work at an Antique’s & More/Flea Market. Going to make several of these, and alter some for the different seasons & holidays. For example ; add birds & flowers-Spring; seashells and sand-Summer; fall foliage, pumkins, gourds, & indian corn-Fall; snowflakes, pine cones, mistletoe, Christmas balls, & holly-Winter; and HOLIDAYS: hearts, pearls & lace-Valentines; Mardi Gras beads & dubloons-Mardi Gras; Colored Eggs, easter grass, rabbits, & crosses-Easter; Flags, fireworks-Independence Day; jack-o-lanterns, witches, bats, & ghost-Halloween….. May even take orders for Mother’s & Father’s Day special jars, for example kids pictures on the jars…. Hmmm…. Maybe made to look like a family tree.

Thanks so much for the wonderful idea, you’ve jump started all sorts of craft projects for me. Lol =)

58. Renee says

*one more idea: may take things from a trip spent with my best friend & give her a special gift for her upcoming birthday. One that will bring back many happy memories.
    Thanks again =)

59. Judy I. Culham-Morris says

Hi Amanda

I have large vases that held the flowers from the funerals of my family members. They are lovely almost hour-glass shaped vases, and I would like to try this on them. I have vintage doiles made by my maternal Grandma and her Mother that I would like to use. I will of course try all this on an old bottle with a cheap doily! I love your idea and definitely want to try it! Thanks!

60. says

I just have a ? actually. I’ve recently begun saving all my glass jars for projects just like these and I think this is absolutely beautiful, however I’m having a problem removing all of the glue from the jars. I tried soaking them in vinegar and did so for a few days with no result. Will the doily still stick if I have some of the glue left on the jar, cause if so it would be a fantastic way to cover it up!!

61. Sue Kopp says

These are waaaaayyyyyyyyyy cool! I have tons of heavy lace and also old doilies that are not in perfect shape, let’s say shabby. Will definitely do these. Thanks for the ideas!

62. Betty from Hamburg NY says

I just finished making my jars for my golf banquet. I only have to add ribbon and they are done. I sprayed the dollies first, then put them on the jar. If you spray the jar first, you will have a hard time getting the excess glue off. Once the spray is on, the doilies stretched so easily. They look great!!

63. Martha Brooks says

You can crochet the pieces to fit the jar, then just slide them over the jar and tie them with a ribbon. That way you can take them off and wash them. A fillet pattern would be nice. That way you could crochet literally any scene you wanted.

64. suzanne vachon says

they are very lovly good gift giving one ? do you put the dolly on the out side of the jar. thank you for shareing with us all.

65. Paula Eick says

I’m going to be making these this weekend. Currently, Michael’s Craft store has small doilies in various colors in their $1 bins. Just in case someone wanted a different color other than a white doily. At our local Michaels store there were yellow, green, blue, red and white to choose from.

66. Linda toon says

I’d like to try dying the doilies for special occasions, like red or green for Christmas or a brides colors or baby girl pink, yellow or baby boy shower. Possibilities are endless. You’ve got my createtivity going!!

67. says

These are delightful. As you say, dainty and rustic at the same time. I know our brides would love them. Only problem might be coming up with the fabric doilies. Thanks so much for sharing.

68. Chrissie says

Thank you kindly! These are beautiful and not at all expensive to make. And if one crochets, they could make them to fit the occasion in color of choice as well. Blessings and Happy New Year. I think I will make one for my birthday dinner. :)

69. says

Amanda, these are so beautiful! I first discovered them on Pinterest but none of the pins linked back to the place of origin. So I found you via Google. Yeah!! Now I can pin directly back to you:) I have so many doilies and definitely have to give this a try.

70. Patti says

I didn’t read all the comments so not sure if someone suggested this… but I was thinking to use either cotton, paper or plastic and holding it on long enough (tape?) to lightly spray over the it with paint. I think spaying the jar first with a base color and then adding the doily on top with a contrasting color. That would put a cool design on the jar. Anyone try this? :)

1. […] If you like the idea of using Mason jars in your wedding décor but need step-by-step instructions, here are three links that may be helpful. There is a tutorial on how to paint Mason jars and wire them to hang, as well as other creative projects for your wedding and for your home: Tatertots and Jello, HomeDIT, and Oh Lovely Day. Instructions for making the doily candles shown in the last collage can be found at Crafts by Amanda. […]

2. […] 1. Burlap and Doily Luminaries by Crafts by Amanda. The combination of doilies, mason jars and burlap join together to make beautiful luminaries. Crochet pattern not included–this is more of a craft instruction where ready-made doilies are affixed to jars. […]