Egg Shell Mosaic Vase

Egg Shell Mosaic Vase by CraftsbyAmanda.com @amandaformaro

When Easter is over and all the colored eggs have been collected, you will undoubtedly be making egg salad and tossing all those pretty colorful shells in the garbage or the compost pile. Well don’t toss them away just yet! Let them air dry on some paper towels and set them aside in a shallow bowl. Then you can make a pretty egg shell mosaic project, maybe even a vase like this!

My good friends over at DecoArt sent me a bottle of their brand new decoupage medium to try out. I had already set aside all my egg shells, so I sat down on the craft room and got to work.

Do you remember these kitchen utensil holders that I made from plastic beanie baby containers? I have stacks and stacks of these containers in a cabinet in my craft room just waiting to be turned into something fun. I have been using a plain one to hold my scissors, large paintbrushes and box cutters in my craft room. So I decided to jazz it up a bit, and now it doubles as a pretty flower vase too!

First you’ll need to dry out your egg shells. After mine were dry I placed them in a shallow container.

Next you’ll need a container. I used this plastic beanie baby holder.

I started by painting the plastic container with two coats of white paint (I used Americana Warm White).

The I organized my colors on a paper plate. It’s a little time consuming and you’ll need to remove any remaining membrane from the back of the shells.

Then paint some decoupage medium onto your painted surface. Place egg shells onto the medium and press in place using the back of your thumbnail.

When you have finished placing all the egg shells onto the painted surface, cover with decoupage medium.

Allow it to dry completely then decoupage the three remaining sides.

To use as a vase, just wrap a pretty bow around the top! Mine is now in my craft room holding my paintbrushes etc. :)

Comments

1. Anonymous says

Wow, I think that is so inventive. Your brain must work overtime to think of so many ways to use stuff.

2. Jodi says

Just clicked through from homepodge :)
    I LOVE this idea! I never considered saving cracked Easter egg shells but it makes so much sense. You spend all that time making the eggs beautiful and then toss them after a week or two? Not anymore.

Thank you for posting this. I'm so inspired right now!!

3. Denise * KKL Primitives says

Fabulous idea Amanda – your vase looks beautiful!
    Another fun project to do with the grandkids!
    Thank you!

4. Grupo Eco- Artesãs says

olá amiga somos do blog Grupo Eco-Artesãs do Brasil, e nessa semana estamos fazendo uma semana de PAP de páscoa com material reciclado, e postaremos um PAP seu amanhã segunda dia 18, fizemos um selinho em agradecimento passa lá e pega o seu,
    caso você não concorde com seu pap em nosso blog nos avise que retiramos ok?
    bjkas
    Carla Pessoa

5. Anne-Marie @ This Mama Cooks! says

Damn Amanda, you're good. All I could think of to do with the egg shells was throw them in the composter.

6. MoneySavingEnthusiast says

I have never seen anything like that. How cool! I always feel bad about ditching the Easter eggs. I usually just take pics of them.

7. Valerie (Favorite Stops Along the Way) says

Wow! What a cute idea. I have a big plastic bin full of all of my broken dishes, mostly blue willow, that I plan to use to make a mosaic tabletop someday, but I never would have thought to use beautifully colored eggshells. My kids might have to color more eggs than usual this year, just so I can try this project. Thanks for sharing.

8. RedTedArt says

Oh wow. This looks fabulous!!! You do come up with some amazing ideas!!

Thank you for linking up to Kids Get Crafty!!!

Maggy

9. Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made says

Now THAT is the ultimate "waste nothing" mentality! How beautiful — glad I read this BEFORE Easter or I'd be really mad that I threw all the shells away!

10. Lindsay @ Diary of a Crafty Lady says

This is very cool. I love the colors, and the mosaic look!! Brilliant.
    Thanks!
    Lindsay
    craftyladylindsay.blogspot.com

11. Katie @ OhhBaby says

thats such a neat idea! I never thought to do that! Maybe I will after we dye our easter eggs when we go to eat them :)

12. Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming says

Amanda – these colors are gorgeous against the white! I want to save all my shells now – very pretty! Thanks so much for linking to the Sunday Showcase – I greatly appreciate it. I have featured this today! Hope you have a fabulous week ~ Stephanie Lynn

13. Heather F says

This is such the great idea,I’v seen useing broken dishes,this you can create your own colours,and its light weight biodegradeable,GREAT WORK