Everyone has extra keys lying around that are of no use anymore. Don’t add them to our growing landfills, turn them into festive snowman ornaments to keep or give as gifts!
My daughter’s boyfriend works at a hardware store that has one of those key cutting machines. One day he brought me a 2-liter bottle full of discarded keys and asked if I wanted them for crafts. Smart lad.
With the holidays here, I thought this was a good time to turn some of those discards into something cute and useful.
There are full printable instructions below, but here the basic rundown. Make hangers from floral wire, you can add beads too if you like. Attach the hangers to the keys. I had already spray painted mine white.
Embellish time! Pom-poms and pipe cleaners make great earmuffs, and fabric scraps and yarn are perfect for scarves. Some pink paint for cheeks and black for facial features and bam. You have snowman keys. Woot!
Recycled Key Snowman Ornaments
What you need:
- Recycled keys
- White spray paint
- Floral wire
- Poms poms
- Pipe cleaners
- Hot glue gun
- Wire snips
- Orange glitter paint (I used DecoArt Glamour Dust)
What you do:
- Spray paint keys white on both sides, two coats should be sufficient.
- Create hangers using floral wire. Bend the wire in half to create a loops and twist to secure. You can leave your wire plain or add beads before twisting to secure through the hole in the top of the key.
- Add earmuffs by hot gluing pieces of pipe cleaner across the top of the key, covering up the wire. Add a pom pom to each side.
- Create scarves using fabric, yarn, pipe cleaners or even old t-shirts. Use hot glue to secure.
- Dab pink paint onto a scruffy paintbrush and dab off the excess onto a rag. Lightly tap onto the key to add rosy cheeks.
- Use a toothpick dipped in black paint to add eyes and mouths, then use a toothpick dipped in orange glitter paint to add noses.
Copyright CraftsbyAmanda.com Amanda Formaro