I’m sure you’ve seen a variety of different birds on a branch silhouette designs out there, I know I have. But what about love birds on a branch? Amazingly enough, there are lots of those too! I wanted to paint a small canvas with love birds on a branch, just for Valentine’s Day as a fun piece of decor that isn’t too big and intrusive.
I did a google search and checked for images I could draw some inspiration from. As you can see, there’s quite a few different versions, but the one in the lower right caught my eye because of the heart shaped leaves.
I’m not sure why, maybe it’s because I’m left handed, but I wanted my branch to start from the left. So I opened the image in Photoshop and flipped it. Disclaimer here – this photo belongs to Deposit Photos I only used it as inspiration, my tree and branch design is considerably different.
First I drew out my design, using the photo as inspiration. I started off with an 8×8 canvas and used graphite transfer paper (similar to carbon paper) to trace my design onto the canvas. When I was done (and after I made a pattern for you guys) I experimented with a dark color in the background, right onto my drawing. I didn’t like it. But just for future reference, this is a great way to experiment on paper before actually painting your design on canvas.
I painted the branches and the birds first. I actually used a brown metallic paint for the branches, specifically Americana Dazzling Metallics in Rich Espresso. Then with Dazzling Metallics Festive Red I added the large hearts. For really small hearts it was easier with a toothpick. I also used Emperor’s Gold and Festive Green on the painting, but you can get all that info in the full printable instructions below. :)
More Birds on a Branch Paintings
More of my wall art
Love Birds in a Heart Tree
- 8 x8 stretched canvas
- Flat round and liner paintbrushes
- Graphite transfer paper
- Pen or stylus
- Printable pattern
Americana Dazzling Metallics
- Emperor’s Gold
- Festive Green
- Rich Espresso
- Festive Red
- Place graphite transfer paper carefully onto the canvas and place pattern over the top. Use a pen or a stylus to trace over the pattern, transferring it to the canvas.
- Use a flat paintbrush to paint the bulk of the tree branches with Rich Espresso.
- Use a round paintbrush to paint the thinner branches and the birds with Rich Espresso.
- use a round paintbrush to paint the larger hearts with Festive Red.
- Use a liner paintbrush to add the smaller hearts with Festive Red.
- Use a round paintbrush to add leaves to the tree if you like.
- Use liner paintbrush to add a few random hearts with Festive Green and Emperor’s Gold.