Colored Denim Scrap Wreath

Colored Denim Scrap Wreath - CraftsbyAmanda.com @amandaformaro

I’ve been sharing quite a few craft projects lately made with colored denim. This wreath was really easy to make and I really love the way the different colored jeans blend together.

Colored Denim Scrap Wreath - CraftsbyAmanda.com @amandaformaro

There’s some time involved, so it makes for a great project to do in front of the television or even while sitting at the park with the kids.

Colored Denim Scrap Wreath - CraftsbyAmanda.com @amandaformaro

The blue jeans were dyed with simple fabric dye, but you can use fabric paint or even regular acrylic paint. Since I use my scrap jeans for several different colored denim crafts I used dye, just in case anything I wanted to use them for would be wearable and washable. However, anything you are making that will never go through the washer, like this wreath, it’s perfectly fine to use a paint that isn’t specific to fabric.

Colored Denim Scrap Wreath - CraftsbyAmanda.com @amandaformaro

Here’s a close up.

Colored Denim Scrap Wreath - CraftsbyAmanda.com @amandaformaro

As I mentioned, this craft is a bit time consuming, but it’s super simple to do. You’ll have to cut your denim into strips then push those strips into the foam wreath with the point of a pencil. Then simply attach a big bow tied from burlap using long stick pins.

Colored Denim Scrap Wreath - CraftsbyAmanda.com @amandaformaro

Isn’t that lovely? I am pretty sure this is my favorite wreath to date!

Colored Denim Scrap Wreath

Rating: 51

Colored Denim Scrap Wreath

What you need:

• Denim, cut into 3"x1/2" strips (I used 6 different colors)
  • Styrofoam wreath form
  • Pencil
  • Burlap
  • Long push pins

What you do:

1. You can color denim with Rit Dye.
  2. Place a denim strip on the wreath form and push into the center of it with the point of a pencil. Repeat this process until wreath is covered.
  3. Go back over it and fill in any gaps.
  4. Tie burlap into a bow and attach to the wreath using long pins.

Notes from Amanda

For this particular project, if you don't have fabric dye on hand, you can paint the denim with fabric paint or regular acrylic paint.

21 Responses to Colored Denim Scrap Wreath

Teq says:

You could also use permenant markers or fabric markers to color your denim strips instead of using dye to dye the whole piece of fabric.

jet says:

this is awesome recycled. i was curious to find out how you fixed the stips on the wreath, smart idea!!!
    very lovely.

Sue says:

What a great wreath! I’ll have to try that one. Have plenty of jeans that I can’t wear anymore (too fat). Great for anytime of the year.

T'onna says:

I absolutely LOVE this wreath! All the different colors of denim are fabulous! I’m pinning this to my denim board and amy wreath board!

Kay says:

So very neat. Great idea for tv time Thanks for sharing.

Rachel says:

What is the method that you used to dye your denim?

susan g says:

I’m concerned the strips will come out if you just push them in with a pencil, could I add some glue in the hole as well?

susan g says:

Sorry I forgot I had a second question. What size is the wreath you show in you pictures? I love it and would like one about the same size. Thanks for showing me what I can do with denim from cut off jeans.

Jolyn says:

How many strips were needed to make this wreath. I would love to make this at my craft party

• 9.1

Oh my Jolyn, I don’t know. I didn’t count the strips. :-/ BUT I do remember that each color blue jean was made from a child sized pair of jeans, and I used those jeans for several other projects as well. I wish I could help, sorry!

Gale says:

Great project. I look forward to making one, or maybe more than one. Thank you for sharing your creativity with those of us who can’t create but can follow directions.

ann moore says: