I’ve been sharing quite a few craft projects lately made with colored denim. This wreath was really easy to make and I really love the way the different colored jeans blend together.
There’s some time involved, so it makes for a great project to do in front of the television or even while sitting at the park with the kids.
The blue jeans were dyed with simple fabric dye, but you can use fabric paint or even regular acrylic paint. Since I use my scrap jeans for several different colored denim crafts I used dye, just in case anything I wanted to use them for would be wearable and washable. However, anything you are making that will never go through the washer, like this wreath, it’s perfectly fine to use a paint that isn’t specific to fabric.
Here’s a close up.
As I mentioned, this craft is a bit time consuming, but it’s super simple to do. You’ll have to cut your denim into strips then push those strips into the foam wreath with the point of a pencil. Then simply attach a big bow tied from burlap using long stick pins.
Isn’t that lovely? I am pretty sure this is my favorite wreath to date!
Colored Denim Scrap Wreath
- Denim cut into 3"x1/2" strips (I used 6 different colors)
- Styrofoam wreath form
- Long push pins
- You can color denim with Rit Dye.
- Place a denim strip on the wreath form and push into the center of it with the point of a pencil. Repeat this process until wreath is covered.
- Go back over it and fill in any gaps.
- Tie burlap into a bow and attach to the wreath using long pins.