I love to recycle old blue jeans into something fun. I had collected several pairs and fabric dyed them in different colors and have used them for a bunch of different projects. This flower frame made from colored denim is just one example.
I have more I’ll be posting soon too!
For this frame it’s really easy. Get yourself one of those $1.00 wood frames from the craft store and paint it. I used Americana’s Uniform Blue. Then simple cut flowers and stems from colored denim and glue them on. Presto! :)
I originally made this project for my monthly Chicago Tribune column.
If you get the Tribune, watch for me mid month on Sundays near Puzzle Island.
Denim Craft: Colorful Flower Frame
- Plain wooden frame
- Old blue jeans
- Dark blue acrylic craft paint
- Hot glue gun
- Clothing dye or colorful acrylic paints
- Paint the frame with dark blue craft paint and set it aside to dry.
- Cut green denim into thin strips of varying lengths for the flower stems. Glue them to the frame, ensuring you have three different heights of stems on each side of the frame.
- Cur flower petals from different colors of denim, cutting them in the shape of a teardrop, six per flower. Glue the petals together to form each flower.
- Cut circles from the colored denim for the centers of the flowers. Glue the circles to the centers then glue the flowers to the stems.