Vintage Clay Pot Snowman Ornaments

Vintage Clay Pot Snowman Ornaments - CraftsbyAmanda.com

Add a little antique flair to your Christmas tree this year with these vintage inspired snowman ornaments made from clay pots, fabric and antique matte Mod Podge. Rusty wire was used for the hangers, but these are highly adaptable to fit your tastes and craft supplies on hand.

Vintage Clay Pot Snowman Ornaments - CraftsbyAmanda.com

Have you tried the Antique Matte Mod Podge yet? I’ve tried it on several projects and there was only one I wasn’t happy with.

Vintage Clay Pot Snowman Ornaments - CraftsbyAmanda.com

These snowmen however, were a complete success! It gave the cream colored fabric just the right amount of tint to look old without looking dirty.

Vintage Clay Pot Snowman Ornaments (steps) - CraftsbyAmanda.com[Full printable instructions are below.] I also used Gesso, which is an artist medium that can be found in the art department of the craft store. I get mine at Michaels. It’s similar in nature to a primer. The reason that I paint them white or with gesso first is because the natural color of the pot is dark. Therefore, with the light colored fabric, it can be a bit transparent sometimes, depending on the material. Painting the pots first also hides any blemishes the pots may have, OR if you are recycling a pot from a previous project it’s a great way to create a “new slate” so to speak. :) So no, you don’t HAVE to paint them first, however I prefer to have a white canvas to work on when dealing with light colored fabrics :)

Vintage Clay Pot Snowman Ornaments (steps) - CraftsbyAmanda.comYou’ll create fabric bottoms for the pots (see instructions) and decoupage them on and fabric to the sides of the pot.

Vintage Clay Pot Snowman Ornaments (steps) - CraftsbyAmanda.comDecoupage patterned fabric onto the rim of the pots.

Vintage Clay Pot Snowman Ornaments (steps) - CraftsbyAmanda.comAdd cheeks and facial features.

Vintage Clay Pot Snowman Ornaments (steps) - CraftsbyAmanda.comMake hangers from rusty wire. :)

Vintage Clay Pot Snowman Ornaments - CraftsbyAmanda.com

• Colored patterned fabric
  • Fine point black Sharpie
  • Paint: pink, black, orange
  • Rusted wire
  • Round nose pliers

What you do:

1. Paint clay pots with Gesso or white paint.
  2. Trace bottom of clay pot on the ivory fabric. Cut out the circle and fold in half then in half again. Cut the tip off to create a hole in the middle of the circle. Decoupage this circle to the bottom of the pot.
  3. Decoupage ivory fabric onto the sides of the clay pot.
  4. Decoupage patterned fabric onto the rim of the pot.
  5. Apply a coat of decoupage over the entire pot and rim and let dry completely.
  6. Use scruffy brush dipped in pink paint, excess paint dabbed off on a paper towel, to add cheeks.
  7. Use the handle end of the brush dipped in black paint to add eyes. Use a Sharpie to draw on mouths. Add nose with orange paint. Let the paint dry completely then add another layer of decoupage.
  8. Make ornament hangers from rusty wire by bending a length of wire in half and creating a loop. Then twist the wire below the loop together. Insert the twisted end into the hole in the bottom of the pot. Squeeze the loop together so that you can push the loop almost all the way through the hole. This will give you enough room to coil the twisted end of the wire around your round nose pliers to keep the hanger from coming back through the hole. Push the loop back up through the hole and widen the loop again.

18 Responses to Vintage Clay Pot Snowman Ornaments

Denise says:

Love these!!
    Is it really necessary to paint the pots since they are being covered in fabric?

• 1.1

It’s funny, when I wrote this up and then read through it I thought about explaining why I paint the pots and then dismissed it LOL! I’ll add it to the post, but to answer your question… the reason that I paint them white or with gesso first is because the natural color of the pot is dark. Therefore, with the light colored fabric, it can be a bit transparent sometimes, depending on the material. Painting the pots first also hides any blemishes the pots may have, OR if you are recycling a pot from a previous project it’s a great way to create a “new slate” so to speak. :) So no, you don’t HAVE to paint them first, however I prefer to have a white canvas to work on when dealing with light colored fabrics :)

I *love* this, Amanda!! I’m stalking my potting shed for extra clay pots so I can make these as gifts this year! Thank you!!

Oh I love crafts that use little pots.. Very cute..

Cookie 17 says:

As usual another great & easy project,thank’s Amanda…Merry Christmas,,,,

Bob'sGal says:

Oh Amanda….. you have sparked my creative Jeans… :D We grow Orchids as a hobby and needless to say are repotting to larger pots several times a year with various plants…. I fear my husband will be missing a few pots this coming January…..! ;D

Maryellen Webber says:

I found your blog post from Craft Gossip and I just love your
    clay pot snowmen. I am inspired to make one. Thanks for writing such
    clear directions on how to make them!

Merry Christmas!
    Maryellen Webber

Judy R says:

Thanks for this tutorial – definitely filing for next year’s projects. Love snowmen

Nancy D says:

This is adorable! I came here via craftgossip.com because this project looked so cute. I happen to have a 3 pack of these little pots I bought from the dollar store. I had no idea what I was going to do with them, now I know :) I think I might add a bell inside, just cause I have them! The good thing about snowmen is they can be out playing all winter! Thanks for sharing this!

becky says:

I love these! What a great idea!

Birgit says:

I love them , too. The most I love is, how you have made the faces .Wonderful

[…] Amanda has tons of projects and craft tutorials on her blog.  I shared her Epsom Salt Luminaries here a few days ago.  Go check her out!   Click here for the full tutorial on these snowman ornaments.   […]

[…] vintage clay pot snowmen (via craftsbyamanda) […]