Faux Stained Glass Mosaic Luminary

Faux Stained Glass Mosaic Luminary by @amandaformaro - Crafts by Amanda I’ve always been in love with luminaries. They are very easy to create and the results are so visually stunning that I could stare at them for hours. I’m also all about color. I love a craft project that’s studded with several different colors from all over the rainbow. Here’s a short video showing what it looks like:

candle In case you are wondering, I used a votive sized candle inside a glass votive holder. Then I placed that inside the luminary. I let the candle burn from beginning to end, until it burned out, and it was totally fine! Faux Stained Glass Mosaic Luminary by @amandaformaro - Crafts by Amanda Recently I was able to try my hand at using DecoArt’s glass stain paints. Beach Flag Suncatcher - CraftsbyAmanda.com @amandaformaro In case you missed it, I made this Beach Flag Suncatcher and it was incredibly fun and rewarding to make! Sure, I made a couple of mistakes, like leaving it to dry where my cat could step on it, and not really following the instructions for drying time… but all in all it turned out beautifully and I couldn’t wait to come up with another project to use these glass stains on. Faux Stained Glass Mosaic Luminary by @amandaformaro CraftsbyAmanda.com They come in a variety of colors, and when I made the flag I only used three. This time I used just about every color they offer! A few years ago my husband brought home a huge box full of these empty plastic Beanie Baby containers. Some guy at work had them and my hubby knew I could put them to good use somehow. I also made these kitchen utensil holders and this egg shell mosaic vase out of these containers, and I have many craft items stored in the rest. Faux Stained Glass Mosaic Luminary by @amandaformaro - Crafts by Amanda I am really, really pleased with how this came out! Faux Stained Glass Mosaic Luminary by @amandaformaro - Crafts by Amanda So let me show you what I did… Faux Stained Glass Mosaic Luminary by @amandaformaro CraftsbyAmanda.com Because the glass stains will run while wet, you need to work on a fairly flat surface. Therefore, doing this on a round jar is just not feasible. However, because you can use these glass stains on both glass and plastic, these containers were the perfect canvas. QUICK NOTE: This project takes a full 4 days to complete. The actual work you do on the project is not the time consuming part, it’s the drying time. The first step is the leading (outline) and that must dry for 6-8 hours. After you fill in the color, that must dry for 24 hours.

My inspiration

Multicolored Round Geometric Stained Glass Panel from GoodGriefGlass on Etsy – click photo to visit her shop.

I drew some inspiration from a gorgeous piece of stained glass art I found on Etsy. You really should visit her shop, her work is incredible! Faux Stained Glass Mosaic Luminary by @amandaformaro CraftsbyAmanda.com First I traced the container onto a piece of paper. Then I used a ruler to add horizontal lines at varying heights. Faux Stained Glass Mosaic Luminary by @amandaformaro CraftsbyAmanda.com Next I added in vertical lines and a couple of circles to create the design. Faux Stained Glass Mosaic Luminary by @amandaformaro CraftsbyAmanda.com I cut the design out so that it would fit inside the container, and lightly taped it inside to use as my pattern. Faux Stained Glass Mosaic Luminary by @amandaformaro CraftsbyAmanda.com I used the silver leading (black is also available) to draw lines, using my pattern as a guide. It’s important that all of the lines touch so that when you fill in the sections with color, it doesn’t escape and leak over to another square. Faux Stained Glass Mosaic Luminary by @amandaformaro CraftsbyAmanda.com I also made my lead lines a little thin on the first side, not giving them quite enough height as I should have. Therefore when I added the color they tumbled over the side, so for the remaining sides I made the leading a bit thicker. This must dry for 6-8 hours. If the room is humid, be sure to wait the full 8 hours. Faux Stained Glass Mosaic Luminary by @amandaformaro CraftsbyAmanda.com Now it’s time to fill in the sections with color – the fun part! When I started, I filled them a bit too full and ended up soaking some of the sections up with sponge and starting over. Again, this had to do with my thin lines on the first side. I got into a groove though :) Faux Stained Glass Mosaic Luminary by @amandaformaro CraftsbyAmanda.com I alternated colors so that no same color was side by side. Now the really hard part… the waiting! 24 hours. You must let it dry for 24 hours. Faux Stained Glass Mosaic Luminary by @amandaformaro - Crafts by Amanda Then simply repeat these steps for each side of the container! Faux Stained Glass Mosaic Luminary by @amandaformaro CraftsbyAmanda.com I loved working with these glass stain paints and will be brainstorming more projects for this beautiful product. In the meantime, if you would like to give them a try, Americana Glass Paints are available at Michaels, JoAnn Fabric and Craft Stores, Pat Catan’s Craft Centers, A.C. Moore, Beverly’s, and other fine craft retailers. For more information on Americana Glass Paints visit http://www.decoart.com/glasspaint. Faux Stained Glass Mosaic Luminary by @amandaformaro - Crafts by Amanda In fact, if you do head out to the craft store, be sure to save your receipt so you can take advantage of this $5.00 rebate offer from DecoArt!

gloss-rebate_zps9f635690

I am a DecoArt Core Blogger. I was compensated for this post, but have always loved DecoArt products! Therefore, all opinions expressed here are 100% my own. Faux Stained Glass Mosaic Luminary by @amandaformaro - Crafts by Amanda

Faux Stained Glass Mosaic Luminary by @amandaformaro - Crafts by Amanda

Be sure to check out all of these awesome projects to give you some inspiration for using DecoArt’s fabulous glass paints!

58 Responses to Faux Stained Glass Mosaic Luminary

ahhhh it’s so cute!!!!!

You did a nice job on this Amanda. Love all the colors!

Very colorful and pretty… but too expensive for me to buy all the colors… :(
    Cecilia

Wow!! What a beautiful craft and it seems fairly simple to make. This would be a fun craft for my kids and I. Thank you so much for sharing it with us!

Kristen says:

You are so creative – I love how easy this is!

Really neat! Just pinned. :)

mamadillo says:

Is this square container glass or plastic? If it’s plastic, can you recommend a safe lighting source?

• 8.1

Hi mamadillo :) This particular container is plastic. I am traveling right now but when I return I will be testing this particular container with a votive candle that will be inside a glass votive holder. I will let you know how it goes :)

Kym says:

These are gorgeous! I’m so amazed how beautiful how beautiful the Luminary came out. And to be plastic at tat. Wow!

eljahb says:

Hi Amanda!
    I have never seen this before, and I love this idea! I know my daughter will love doing this project with me as well. Thank you for sharing. I post ways to facilitate memories on my Etsy fanpage. I posted this tutorial today for my fans. I invite you to look: http://www.facebook.com/eljahb I also invite you to stop by my shop: http://www.eljahb.etsy.com

This is a wonderful way to be creative and spend time with others!
    blessings!!

Bea Jay says:

Thank you sooooooo much…!! Can I use it on a glass door ? Or I have to lay the glass on the floore/table first? Plz I really need help with this…….

• 12.1

Hi Bea! You would have to lay the surface down so that it can dry flat. It takes 6-8 hours for the leading to dry, and then another 24 hours for the glass stain to dry. So to answer your question, yes you could do it on a door, but would (obviously) need to have a temporary door to put in place while you are working on the project! :)

[…] If you’re looking for an easy craft, Amanda has you covered with a great tutorial on how to make a Faux Stained Glass Mosaic Luminary.  This would be a great craft for the kids……….think holiday […]

TidyMom says:

What a fun project Amanda!! — I would just put battery powered votives in the plastic luminaries!!

Thanks for linking up! I featured your post in my wrap up http://tidymom.net/2013/40-creative-projects/
    Have a great rest of the weekend!

• 14.1

Thanks so much for the feature Cheryl! I tried the LED lights and with the size of the luminary they just weren’t worthy. Not enough light! The candle itself does not make the plastic hot as I tested it for several hours. So they work great! :)

[…] Basteln: Lei Chandelier, Faux Stained Glass Mosaic Luminary, Beaded Necklaces, Spray Paint Teelight Holders, Fabric Spray Paint, Rainbow Lavender Bath Salts, […]

angie says:

I just love stained glass art and the way the lights or sun hits it or even candles. I was wondering I have these stained glass coloring books and how would I go about putting them on plastics or glass? I mean I haven’t colored them in yet and plus I have these little pots that you can get at WalMart even but would them work on my stained glass project?

santhi says:

I am definitely going to try this. Your are so creative. Keep up the good work to inspire us.

Charlotte says:

Hi I’ve tried this but my paint dries streaky/ patchy. Do you have any tips? Should I layer it

Charlotte says:

Yes I’ve used glass paints, maybe they are not quality enough ones

• 20.1

Hi Charlotte. I’m sorry, what I meant was, did you use the glass stain paints that are specified in the tutorial? Or a different brand? If a different brand then the results will be different. The paints that I used area specifically formulated to look like stained glass, giving them that shiny smooth appearance.

Susan M. Anderson says:

This is so beautiful. I don’t understand what the “leading” is. Can you please explain.
    Thank you.

• 21.1

Hi Susan :) In stain glass work, leading is the silver or black material that is used to create the outlines within which your colored glass will go. Same applies with this stain glass paint. The leading is the silver outlines that you see on the project. Hope that helps!

[…] With all the browsing I do online for various craft projects, I have recently decided that I really like luminaries and I like the fact that they are simple to make. When I stumbled across this faux stained glass-looking luminary, I knew I had to share it since I found it so pretty. For the instructions to make your own luminary, visit http://craftsbyamanda.com/2013/08/faux-stained-glass-mosaic-luminary.html […]

[…] CraftsByAmanda – Faux Stained Glass Mosaic Luminary […]

Dorothy Barnett says:

Lovely project, the tutorial is great. Your explanations and answers are clear and concise. If a person fears their talent is not up to par, one can use a coloring book or a Christmas card to trace the lines with the leading. Trace a photo to make a personal gift.
    Not knowing how durable the stain glass paint is would make me fearful of scratches if used on glass doors.

• 24.1

I definitely wouldn’t use it on a door. This is for decorative purposes only :) and while the paint does hold up to the heat of the candle, I’m not sure how well it would hold up to the sun beating down on it every day.

mahmuda amin says:

i like ur glass paint.i wants to made.but colour and other things is not avelable hear.i lived in bangladesh.but ur product is very nice

[…] CraftsByAmanda – Faux Stained Glass Mosaic Luminary […]

kim says:

Hi Amanda

I like what you create. I just love the home decor section its the one I am checking out now, later I will check out the rest. I really love the faux stain glass luminary, I think I will try it soon. I am wondering if you know about this website http://www.decoart.com when you check out the site go to store, and they always, always have clearance paint for cheeeep! Thats where I go when I want some paint . Look they have glass stain on clearance too for . under the section of glass stain there are 4 colors $1.74 each, under glasstique there are 2 colors .62 each, and some of the paint isnt stain but you can use it on glass like ultra frost there are 6 colors for .40 each. Then under the section mediums several different mediums but I was looking for leading and there are two colors gold and pewter for .62. Quite a bargin hub? if you already know great, but I just wanted to make sure that you are aware of the deco art paint website, there are many more different paints and other things like no hole glass beads and glass bugle beads and glass round beads in 16 colors for .50 each!

Bye bye now!

Lorie Folk says:

I have a question :) Will I be able to complete this project with 1 oz. bottles of glass stain?

• 29.1

Hi Lorie. The answer is most likely. I used the 2 oz bottles, but it’s been a while so I really can’t remember how much was left in each bottle. However, if you are going to use as many colors as I did then you shouldn’t have a problem running out :)

Elizabeth Simon says:

Wow Amanda I really love your craft ideas. Thanks

I’ve always wanted to try stained glass, it looks so pretty – thanks!

shirin says:

Hi
    Thanks a lot
    You are very artistic

Bea Jay says:

Plz help to buy those material (paint) you did a great work thank youuuuuu

[…] Awesome Faux Stained Glass Mosaic Luminary – Image To Repin / ShareImage – craftsbyamanda.com […]

Adriana Iannini says:

Que bello vitral! Podrías por favor decirme cómo consigo la base rectangular? Es un material q reciclaste? Dónde lo conseguiste!

Pat McIntire says:

I love the look of these colorful luminaries. Where do you find the clear plastic or acrylic luminaries to paint? I’ve seen the paint in the stores, but not the luminaries. How much are they apiece? I’ve used the glass paint on fruit jars before, but due to the roundness of the corners of the jar, it is very difficult to do. I like your idea of the plastic luminaries.