These pretty napkin rings come complete with inspirational sentiment tags that you make from rub-ons! These can be used for Thanksgiving or Christmas, or both if you like. Change the colors to match your decor, or go with winter blue like I did. Polka dots are always in style as far as I’m concerned, don’t you agree?
I am constantly scouring the thrift store for things to redo. I found some wooden napkin rings over a year ago and have had them in my craft stash all that time.
I also had some rub-ons left over from a scrapbooking project my daughter wanted to do. I paired those with some patterned paper, and the napkin rings with some pearl paint and this was the result!
First I sanded the napkin rings then put them on some cardboard tubes as holders. I painted them with pearl paint and added the polka dots with the handle end of a paintbrush.
These are easy to make but there is some drying time involved, so keep that in mind if you plan this or a similar project.
Polka Dot Pearl Napkin Rings
- Wood napkin rings
- Sand paper
- Colored card stock
- White card stock
- Rub-on sentiments
- Double sided tape roller or glue stick
- Paper cutter
- Regular or decorative hole punch
Martha Stewart Pearl Paint:
- Mother of Pearl
- Jet Stream
- Sand the napkin rings to remove any rough edges or any finish that may have been on them.
- Use cardboard tubes to hold your napkin rings and paint them with Cornflower (blue) and Mother of Pearl (white). You will need 3-4 coats on each napkin ring.
- In between paint coats, create your sentiment cards. Attach the rub-ons to white card stock and use a paper cutter to cut them out.
- Cut colored card stock a little bigger than the sentiments (1/4" - 1/5" larger) and attach the sentiments to the card stock using your tape roller or glue stick.
- Punch a hole in the upper left corner of each sentiment card. Loop the twine through the hole. Tie a bow at the top of the open ends of the twine.
- Thin some Jet Stream (pale blue) paint with a small amount of water. Dip the handle end of a small paintbrush into the paint and dot onto the napkin rings. Allow polka dots to dry completely.
- Insert rolled napkins into rings and insert the twine up into the napkin ring so that the bow pokes out the top and the sentiment card is displayed face up.