Snowy Pinecone Candle Jars

Snowy Pinecone Candle Jar Luminaries @amandaformaro Crafts by Amanda

Make pretty luminaries that appear to be covered with freshly fallen snow using snow texture paint! Oh so gorgeous and perfect for the holidays, they are very easy to make. They will look great all lit up on your holiday table, upon the mantle or even lining the walk to your door. I’ll show you how to make some just like this!

Snowy Pinecone Candle Jar Luminaries @amandaformaro Crafts by Amanda

If you aren’t like me and you don’t wander around your yard in the spring picking up pinecones, you can always buy a bag at the craft store. Yes, it’s spring when pinecones fall from trees, even though we commonly associate them with autumn.

Snowy Pinecone Candle Jar Luminaries @amandaformaro Crafts by Amanda

Pinecones fall in spring to release seeds for new trees, just like any other tree releases seedlings. So don’t want until fall to go pinecone hunting or you may only find ones that have been obliterated by the elements and the occasional lawn mower.

Snowy Pinecone Candle Jar Luminaries @amandaformaro Crafts by Amanda

Snow texture paint is thick and usually applied with a palette knife. You can use a paintbrush or even a craft stick, and you’ll see in this tutorial that I use my fingers too. Whatever works.

Snowy Pinecone Candle Jar Luminaries @amandaformaro Crafts by Amanda

For this particular project I used Glistening Snow-Tex by DecoArt which has a glittery finish to it. They also make a Glistening Snow Writer, pictured above, that can be used to write with or add small details. I didn’t use the writer in this project, but it’s great for ornaments! I also used some lace to wrap around the tops of the jars, and some twine and baker’s twine.

Snowy Pinecone Candle Jar Luminaries @amandaformaro Crafts by Amanda

I’ve made a lot of different luminaries but these are definitely among my all time favorites. The Sno-Tex dries nice and hard, so once you’re done you can move them around if you need to. I just love how wintery and festive they look! In fact, I think a few holly berries would be a really nice touch too.

Snowy Pinecone Candle Jar Luminaries @amandaformaro Crafts by Amanda

I went a little crazy with the pictures, but I just couldn’t decide on my favorites.

Snowy Pinecone Candle Jar Luminaries @amandaformaro Crafts by Amanda

So you’re getting them all!

Snowy Pinecone Candle Jar Luminaries @amandaformaro Crafts by Amanda

To start I covered the rim or each jar with some lace.

Snowy Pinecone Candle Jar Luminaries @amandaformaro Crafts by Amanda

On one of them I wrapped the entire rim with twine, on another I just tied some twine around the top. Do whatever makes you happy. That’s what I do.

Snowy Pinecone Candle Jar Luminaries @amandaformaro Crafts by Amanda

You can add the pinecones by gluing the to twine and then to the jar, or glue them directly onto the lace near the rim. Again, whatever works!

Snowy Pinecone Candle Jar Luminaries @amandaformaro Crafts by Amanda

Stir up the Snow-Tex, here I’m using a palette knife…

Snowy Pinecone Candle Jar Luminaries @amandaformaro Crafts by Amanda

And here I’m using my fingers. I just find I have more control this way. Do whatever works for you. Put some Snow-Tex on the pinecones, then around the rims of the jars as well.

Snowy Pinecone Candle Jar Luminaries @amandaformaro Crafts by Amanda

I added some epsom salts to the jars, about an inch or so, then put a candle down inside. I didn’t want to bump the drying Snow-Tex, so I used some tong to carefully add the candle. Now all you have to do is let the Snow-Tex dry for an hour or so.

Snowy Pinecone Candle Jar Luminaries @amandaformaro Crafts by Amanda

There, aren’t they beautiful?

Snowy Pinecone Candle Jar Luminaries @amandaformaro Crafts by Amanda

One of my favorite Christmas decorations this year!

Snowy Pinecone Candle Jars

Rating: 51

Snowy Pinecone Candle Jars

What you need:

• glass jar
  • 2 pinecones
  • Lace
  • Twine and/or baker's twine
  • Hot glue gun
  • Snow-Tex
  • Epsom salt
  • Candle

What you do:

1. Wash and dry jars.
  2. Glue lace around rim of jar.
  3. Tie twine around rim of jar.
  4. Attach pinecones to lace using hot glue.
  5. Decorate pinecones and top of jar rim with Snow-Tex.
  6. Add epsom salt to jar and insert candle.

I am a DecoArt Core Blogger. I was compensated for this post, but have always loved DecoArt products! Therefore, all opinions expressed here are 100% my own.

Comments

1. says

love the wintry feel, so simple. I have all items on hand, however when I make candle jars I use spaghetti sauce glass jars (washes and label removed)

• Pat says

I think these would look great in the blue mason jars an still go with winter theme you could use white glitter paint to add snow flakes to the jars

• Eva Roberts says

You can also use Elmer’s Glue and Epson Salt if you don’t have the Snow-Tex. It looks like snow. I would use the battery powered candles in mine since I can’t use real ones due to oxygen use.

2. Lisa Wright says

Love these! Question, have you tried with fake candles? Maybe they dont look as good? Im just concerned that the twine or lace might catch on fire. Also, would you have an alternative to the Epsom salt? Some fake snow of some sort?
    Thanks so much! Lisa

• says

Hi Lisa. The twine and the lace are on the outside and the candle is on the inside, so there shouldn’t be any danger of them catching fire. However, if you are more comfortable with LED candles, by all means use them! :) As for fake snow compared to epsom salt, epsom salt is probably less expensive and available at any drug store or dollar store. But you could certainly use fake snow if you wanted to.

• BAM says

I noticed that you put the candle directly on the Epsom Salt. Is Epsom Salts flammable? Are you not afraid that when the candle melts down all the way to the salt that it could catch fire?. Also, if it melts down all the way (without a votive holder), & it doesn’t catch fire, wouldn’t it make such a mess that the jar candles would only be good for one use? Do the jars also get smoke residue on the inside of them as the candle burns? Thanks

• says

Hi BAM. My candles did burn all the way down and no the salt did not catch fire. And actually, the salt acts like sand and when the wax melts it pools and dries on the salt and you can lift it right out. You can trim your wicks down a little to avoid smoke residue on your candles. You can also use tea lights if you like, you will just have to replace them more often.

3. Lisa says

Hi. These are really pretty …..I think I might make a pair for a gift for my sis who loves candles. Just wondering. It looks like you use a votive candle on top the Epsom salts ….how does that affect the Epsom salts when the candle has melted down to nothing? Is the jar/snow “reusable” so that when I give as a gift the receiver of gift can put in a new candle when the original one melts. Or do the salts get “nasty”? (sorry I lacked a better word) Just wondering :)

• says

Epsom salt contains moisture, which is what gives it sparkle, so the only thing that can happen to it is it dries out and turns white. The salt that I used was already dried out as it was in a container in my craft room and the lid was open a little. The candles I used were actually a little bigger that the standard votive candle. I let them burn down until they were a flat puddle and blew them out. When I went to pack them away in the Christmas stuff I couldn’t get the candle out without breaking it haha – the puddle had cooled and hardened, making the melted candle larger than the opening. I guess my point is that the candle did not affect the salts at all, but if you want to you can place a votive candle inside a glass votive holder and lower THAT down into the salts :) Thanks!

4. Sue McEndree says

These are really pretty!!! My daughter was looking for something similiar to these but she wanted to put small electric lights in the jars.

5. Janet Bacon says

Your crafts and tutorials are JUST awesome. I am very new at this and a little nervous. Once I get started, and if they look presentable, I would like to sell some of your items (if possible) You will get all the credit. Many thanks Amanda for your EXCELLENT ideas.. ggmnanajan☺☺☺

6. Janet Bacon says

Another comment. I love the idea of crafting with Epsom salts. Is there any type of sealer/varnish that I can use so the salts won’t turn white and fall off?? Thanks again!!

7. Maggie Schleiss says

I love this idea. Sooo pretty. I want to try and sell some of these this fall; I’ll probably put a votive or a tea light in a glass holder and maybe try the mini lights too. You get the credit tho. I was thinking that you could always replace the epsom salt by carefully pouring it out. I’m also going to experiment with coating the Snowtex with a dab of mod podge. Also might add some white glitter here and there. Thanks for a great idea!

8. Wendy Winans says

I just finished making 2 as an example for a ladies retreat coming up the end of October. So simple. So cute. Thanks.

9. Karen V says

I am so glad I came across these. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them. My birthday was on Sunday and asked (and received) a case of Mason Jars (yes, a case LOL). Now I have the PERFECT project to make. Thank you so much for sharing this and for also sharing that pine cones only fall in the spring!! Looks like a trip to Michael’s :)

10. DeBora says

How do these hold up outside in the below freezing temps? Does the glass break or should these be outside at all? Thanks!

11. says

I LIKE THESE CANDLE HOLDERS…BUT I HAVE ONE SUGESTION..WOULDNT
    BE BETTER TO PUT THE EPSONS SALTS IN FIRST SO YOU DONT RUIN THE
    GLUE ON THE TOP OF THE JAR…I REALIZE THAT YOU WILL BE TURNING
    THE JAR TO GLUE IT BUT I DONT THINK THE EPSONS SALT WOULD COME OUT
    AND THEN YOU CAN ADD THE CANDLE AFTER THE GLUE IS DRY..REALLY COULD
    ADD THE EPSONS SALT AFTER THE GLUE HAS DRIED. AWESOME CANDLES.

• says

Hi Mary. You are welcome to do it that way if you like :) Adding the epsom salt doesn’t ruin the glue. You need to let everything dry before adding the salt, and putting it in first limits how much you can tilt and turn the jar while you are working on it, that’s why I added the salt last. :)

12. Rachel DeJesus says

This is pure genius! I am going to make these to give as gifts to teachers and parts of my family who aren’t Christian, or who don’t celebrate Christmas, but who I’d never leave off my gift list! Thanks for the great inspiration!

13. says

Amanda, these are simply gorgeous. It is a definite project for Christmas. They look very romantic with a touch of the past. I have boxes after boxes of mason jars of all sizes.
    I haven’t been able to create for the last 14 years. My brain has gone into dormancy. This project is giving to get back into it.

They will look beautiful not only inside but outside below the wreath next to the Christmas tree. Can’t wait.

Thank you so much.
    Claudette

14. Marie Shalloe says

Hi Amanda, Love the jars, will have to give them a go providing I can get the snowtex here in Ireland
    I was just wondering if using tea lights might be an idea to make the jars reusable, as when they melt they have a little well around them that holds the wax and might make it easier to remove and replace the candle.

• says

Hi Marie. Actually the salt acts similar to sand, so when the votive candles melts it all collects in a pool and can be lifted right out when dry. But yes, you can use tea lights if you prefer! :)

15. Angela Thompson says

These are what I’m making to finish up my Christmas gift giving! Thanks Amanda for sharing. Merry Christmas!