Snowy Pinecone Candle Jars

Snowy Pinecone Candle Jar Luminaries @amandaformaro Crafts by Amanda

Make pretty luminaries that appear to be covered with freshly fallen snow using snow texture paint! Oh so gorgeous and perfect for the holidays, they are very easy to make. They will look great all lit up on your holiday table, upon the mantle or even lining the walk to your door. I’ll show you how to make some just like this!

Snowy Pinecone Candle Jar Luminaries @amandaformaro Crafts by Amanda

If you aren’t like me and you don’t wander around your yard in the spring picking up pinecones, you can always buy a bag at the craft store. Yes, it’s spring when pinecones fall from trees, even though we commonly associate them with autumn.

Snowy Pinecone Candle Jar Luminaries @amandaformaro Crafts by Amanda

Pinecones fall in spring to release seeds for new trees, just like any other tree releases seedlings. So don’t want until fall to go pinecone hunting or you may only find ones that have been obliterated by the elements and the occasional lawn mower.

Snowy Pinecone Candle Jar Luminaries @amandaformaro Crafts by Amanda

Snow texture paint is thick and usually applied with a palette knife. You can use a paintbrush or even a craft stick, and you’ll see in this tutorial that I use my fingers too. Whatever works.

Snowy Pinecone Candle Jar Luminaries @amandaformaro Crafts by Amanda

For this particular project I used Glistening Snow-Tex by DecoArt which has a glittery finish to it. They also make a Glistening Snow Writer, pictured above, that can be used to write with or add small details. I didn’t use the writer in this project, but it’s great for ornaments! I also used some lace to wrap around the tops of the jars, and some twine and baker’s twine.

Snowy Pinecone Candle Jar Luminaries @amandaformaro Crafts by Amanda

I’ve made a lot of different luminaries but these are definitely among my all time favorites. The Sno-Tex dries nice and hard, so once you’re done you can move them around if you need to. I just love how wintery and festive they look! In fact, I think a few holly berries would be a really nice touch too.

Snowy Pinecone Candle Jar Luminaries @amandaformaro Crafts by Amanda

I went a little crazy with the pictures, but I just couldn’t decide on my favorites.

Snowy Pinecone Candle Jar Luminaries @amandaformaro Crafts by Amanda

So you’re getting them all!

Snowy Pinecone Candle Jar Luminaries @amandaformaro Crafts by Amanda

To start I covered the rim or each jar with some lace.

Snowy Pinecone Candle Jar Luminaries @amandaformaro Crafts by Amanda

On one of them I wrapped the entire rim with twine, on another I just tied some twine around the top. Do whatever makes you happy. That’s what I do.

Snowy Pinecone Candle Jar Luminaries @amandaformaro Crafts by Amanda

You can add the pinecones by gluing the to twine and then to the jar, or glue them directly onto the lace near the rim. Again, whatever works!

Snowy Pinecone Candle Jar Luminaries @amandaformaro Crafts by Amanda

Stir up the Snow-Tex, here I’m using a palette knife…

Snowy Pinecone Candle Jar Luminaries @amandaformaro Crafts by Amanda

And here I’m using my fingers. I just find I have more control this way. Do whatever works for you. Put some Snow-Tex on the pinecones, then around the rims of the jars as well.

Snowy Pinecone Candle Jar Luminaries @amandaformaro Crafts by Amanda

I added some epsom salts to the jars, about an inch or so, then put a candle down inside. I didn’t want to bump the drying Snow-Tex, so I used some tong to carefully add the candle. Now all you have to do is let the Snow-Tex dry for an hour or so.

Snowy Pinecone Candle Jar Luminaries @amandaformaro Crafts by Amanda

There, aren’t they beautiful?

Snowy Pinecone Candle Jar Luminaries @amandaformaro Crafts by Amanda

One of my favorite Christmas decorations this year!

Snowy Pinecone Candle Jars

Rating: 51

Snowy Pinecone Candle Jars

What you need:

• glass jar
  • 2 pinecones
  • Lace
  • Twine and/or baker's twine
  • Hot glue gun
  • Snow-Tex
  • Epsom salt
  • Candle

What you do:

1. Wash and dry jars.
  2. Glue lace around rim of jar.
  3. Tie twine around rim of jar.
  4. Attach pinecones to lace using hot glue.
  5. Decorate pinecones and top of jar rim with Snow-Tex.
  6. Add epsom salt to jar and insert candle.

I am a DecoArt Core Blogger. I was compensated for this post, but have always loved DecoArt products! Therefore, all opinions expressed here are 100% my own.

50 Responses to Snowy Pinecone Candle Jars

Sheryl says:

love the wintry feel, so simple. I have all items on hand, however when I make candle jars I use spaghetti sauce glass jars (washes and label removed)

Must make, must make, must make!!!!! One of my very favorites! :D

julia says:

i make my own snow tex with sand, glitter and white acrylic paint. mix it up and go crazy

Sharon says:

These are so pretty … going to make for family & friends … thanks for the great idea … HAPPY HOLIDAYS !!!

shelby says:

absolutely love these Amanda and will be making it to decorate my new house for the next holiday season. :)

Kelly says:

I love the rustic spin! Thanks for sharing. xo

Lisa Wright says:

Love these! Question, have you tried with fake candles? Maybe they dont look as good? Im just concerned that the twine or lace might catch on fire. Also, would you have an alternative to the Epsom salt? Some fake snow of some sort?
    Thanks so much! Lisa

• 9.1

Hi Lisa. The twine and the lace are on the outside and the candle is on the inside, so there shouldn’t be any danger of them catching fire. However, if you are more comfortable with LED candles, by all means use them! :) As for fake snow compared to epsom salt, epsom salt is probably less expensive and available at any drug store or dollar store. But you could certainly use fake snow if you wanted to.

[…] Winter Table Decoration submitted by Crafts by Amanda […]

Ooh sooo purdy!!!! Love the look and that tong candle drop trick is brilliant!!! Xo

Maria says:

These look lovely! And I LOVE the snowy look, that is so cute! Beautifully wintery! :)

Lisa says:

Hi. These are really pretty …..I think I might make a pair for a gift for my sis who loves candles. Just wondering. It looks like you use a votive candle on top the Epsom salts ….how does that affect the Epsom salts when the candle has melted down to nothing? Is the jar/snow “reusable” so that when I give as a gift the receiver of gift can put in a new candle when the original one melts. Or do the salts get “nasty”? (sorry I lacked a better word) Just wondering :)

• 14.1

Epsom salt contains moisture, which is what gives it sparkle, so the only thing that can happen to it is it dries out and turns white. The salt that I used was already dried out as it was in a container in my craft room and the lid was open a little. The candles I used were actually a little bigger that the standard votive candle. I let them burn down until they were a flat puddle and blew them out. When I went to pack them away in the Christmas stuff I couldn’t get the candle out without breaking it haha – the puddle had cooled and hardened, making the melted candle larger than the opening. I guess my point is that the candle did not affect the salts at all, but if you want to you can place a votive candle inside a glass votive holder and lower THAT down into the salts :) Thanks!

Cindy says:

I just love this. One question. How do you light the candle?

Sue McEndree says:

These are really pretty!!! My daughter was looking for something similiar to these but she wanted to put small electric lights in the jars.

Janet Bacon says:

Your crafts and tutorials are JUST awesome. I am very new at this and a little nervous. Once I get started, and if they look presentable, I would like to sell some of your items (if possible) You will get all the credit. Many thanks Amanda for your EXCELLENT ideas.. ggmnanajan☺☺☺

Janet Bacon says:

Another comment. I love the idea of crafting with Epsom salts. Is there any type of sealer/varnish that I can use so the salts won’t turn white and fall off?? Thanks again!!

bobbiegrantland says:

love the mason jar candles, will try making them this fall. So simple and pretty.

Maggie Schleiss says:

I love this idea. Sooo pretty. I want to try and sell some of these this fall; I’ll probably put a votive or a tea light in a glass holder and maybe try the mini lights too. You get the credit tho. I was thinking that you could always replace the epsom salt by carefully pouring it out. I’m also going to experiment with coating the Snowtex with a dab of mod podge. Also might add some white glitter here and there. Thanks for a great idea!

Angie says:

So cute!! I can see why they are some of your favourites; I can’t hardly wait to make these with my grandkids.

Kristy Tomlinson says:

Do you think that the snow tex could be removed if we want to reuse the jars for something else?

Wendy Winans says:

I just finished making 2 as an example for a ladies retreat coming up the end of October. So simple. So cute. Thanks.

Karen V says:

I am so glad I came across these. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them. My birthday was on Sunday and asked (and received) a case of Mason Jars (yes, a case LOL). Now I have the PERFECT project to make. Thank you so much for sharing this and for also sharing that pine cones only fall in the spring!! Looks like a trip to Michael’s :)