You’re home from the beach with a collection of shells, and now you need something to do with all of them! The kids will love making this school of fish made from seashells, and you can save them as momentos from your vacation. They will look great in a shadowbox frame on your child’s bedroom wall.
No trip to the beach this summer? Doesn’t matter! Seashells are readily available at craft stores, but you can also find them at garage sales, thrift stores and even flea markets. Often times that are sold in big bags, which is how I found most of mine. I always look for them when out at garage sales though!
To make these fish, you’ll need seashells in assorted sizes; big ones for the bodies and smaller ones for the fins. You’ll also need googly eyes and some hot glue. You can also use instant grab glue if you prefer not to use a hot glue gun with the kids. White craft glue is a little harder because it takes longer to dry and the shells may not stay put, so look for a fast drying type.
Lay the shells out first, deciding how you want your fish to look.
Then simply glue them together and add your googly eyes!
I found this cute seashell wind chime over at Red Ted Art, isn’t it darling?
More Seashell Crafts for Kids
Try my Seashell Critters over at Kaboose
Or make my Personalized Seashell found on Spoonful
My Sand Casted Starfish on Kaboose uses seashells too
These Seashell Snails from Meet the Dubiens are adorable!
Here’s a fun Red Seashell Crab from Kleas
This Everlasting Sand Castle from Meaningful Mama is awesome!
You can also make Sand Casted Handprints with Michelle Paige
- Assorted seashells
- Googly eyes, various sizes
- Hot glue gun or instant grab glue
- Lay out your shells first, choosing smaller shells for dorsal fins, tail and side fins.
- Once you have chosen which shells go with which, go ahead and glue them together.
- Glue googly eyes onto your fish.
- To display, try adding some blue cellophane to a piece of foam core board and gluing the fish to your faux sea.
Latest posts by Amanda Formaro (see all)
- Easy Yarn Crafts: Creative Ways to Use Yarn Without Knitting or Crocheting - March 17, 2017
- Egg Shell Mosaic Vase - March 14, 2017
- 40+ Creative Easter Crafts for Kids - March 6, 2017