As soon as I learned that paint makes cardboard tubes shapable, I’ve been thinking up fun projects for adults and kids. These cardboard tube dangling hearts are a great example of how you can shape cardboard tubes into whatever you want, let the paint dry and they’ll stay that way!
I actually have this cute mobile type hanger suspended from the ceiling in my office. Yes the room with the purple walls is my office! It used to be my daughter’s room. :)
It’s cute and definitely in time for Valentine’s Day. Head over to Spoonful to get my step by step tutorial.
And just in case you are wondering, I used Craft Smart paint, available at Michaels, in Rosy Posy and Magenta :)
Cardboard Tube Dangling Hearts
- 3 4- inch cardboard tubes
- Paint: burgundy and dark pink
- Glue stick
- White craft glue
- Pony beads pink, white, purple
- 4 large buttons
- 12- inch wooden dowel
- Paint the inside and outside of two of the cardboard tubes burgundy and one of them dark pink. Allow them to dry about 20-30 minutes, so that they are dry to the touch but the cardboard still feels a little damp.
- Flatten the cardboard tube and cut into 8 equal pieces. Repeat for the other two cardboard tubes.
- Cut each mini tube open so that when stretched out it becomes one long strip.
- Stretch out two strips. Apply glue stick to the end of one strip.
- Place the second strip on top of the first and squeeze the ends together to make the glue adhere.
- Holding the glue section with your fingers, bend the long ends out, one to the left and the other to the right.
- Still holding the glued section, curl the long ends inward to create the humps of the heart. Apply glue stick to attach the humps together.
- Once you have created all of your hearts (you will have 12 all together, 8 burgundy and 4 dark pink) add a little white glue in between the humps of one of the burgundy hearts. Insert the point end of one of the pink hearts into the glue, connecting the two hearts. Repeat this process inserting a burgundy heart above the pink heart. You will have three hearts, burgundy, pink, burgundy, attached together. Repeat this for the remaining hearts.
- Add some white craft glue to the top of each heart trio and insert a 36-inch strand of yarn for each one. Thread on some pony beads then add a button.
- Wrap the yarn around the dowel and glue at the loose end. Repeat for the other three strands.
- Make a hanger from yarn by tying at both ends of the dowel.
I originally made this project for Spoonful. Spoonful has since closed and the instructions were taken down. I am putting the instructions here until such time that Spoonful projects are redirected to a new home. At that time I will remove the instructions and link directly to the project on their site.