If you enjoy painting rocks, you’ll absolutely love to make these simple patriotic painted rocks. They are great for the 4th of July as well as Memorial Day!
Stackable Patriotic Painted Rocks
Hi friends, Jane here from Sustain My Craft Habit. With all the rock painting projects we’ve done over the years, it’s pretty surprising to us that we haven’t yet done any patriotic painted rocks! So with the 4th of July just around the corner, we figured there was no better time to share this simple and fun DIY stacking rock idea.
Since we used a durable multi-surface paint that can handle the outdoors, there was no need to add a coat of sealer or varnish. Simply paint the three different sized rocks in these red, white, and blue themed design and place in the garden when done. Choose rocks that have a flatter surface so they can be easily stacked one on top of the other. Wouldn’t they look great in a little stack outside?
Supplies You Will Need
How To Make Patriotic Painted Rocks:
These step by step photos and instructions are here to help you visualize how to make this project. Please scroll down to simply print out the instructions!
First, you will need medium-sized flat surface stones in varying sizes for painting. Paint the entire surface of the largest rock and smallest rocks in DecoArt Americana Multi-Surface Acrylics – True Blue on all sides.
Next, paint the entire surface of the medium rock in Cotton Ball (white) on all sides. Repeat with an additional coat of paint if needed for full coverage. Let dry completely.
On the largest sized rock, add 5-6 stars using a white paint pen on both sides of the rock. Let dry and repeat for additional coverage.
On the medium sized rock, use a flat-tipped paintbrush to paint evenly spaced single stripes in the color Lipstick (or any red paint) across the width of the rock. Once dry, repeat on the other side of the rock continuing the stripe pattern. You can use a ruler to help the lines appear smoother along the edges.
Additionally, for the spots that are rough and jagged, you can use a paint pen to straighten and smooth out the edges.
For the smallest rock, draw a few small stars with a white paint pen and additional curved lines and swirls and dots using a red paint pen. Repeat for additional coverage.
Display the painted Americana rocks side by side or stack them with the largest on the bottom and smallest on the top. Happy 4th of July, friends!
Looking for More 4th of July Craft Ideas?
- Patriotic Star Jars
- Printable Patriotic Pinwheels
- Patriotic Bandana Wreath
- Patriotic Slime
- Star Suncatchers
- 4th of July Coffee Filter Flowers
I love to create and share my projects with you! I know it’s hard to remember to come back and search, so I’ve made it easy for you with my weekly newsletter! You can subscribe for free and I’ll send you fun crafts and delicious recipes every week right to your email.
Patriotic Painted Rocks
- 3 Medium sized stones in varying sizes with flat surface for stacking
- 2 Paintbrush with a fine tip and medium flat tip
- 1 Paint pens in red, black and white
- 1 Decoart Americana Multi-Surface Acrylics in Lipstick, Cotton Ball, True Ball
- Paint the largest rock in True Blue. Let dry and add additional coats as needed
- Using a paint pen, add 5-6 stars in white on both sides of the rock.
- Paint the medium sized rock in white. Let dry and add additional coats as needed
- Using a flat tipped brush, paint evenly spaced single stripes in red across the width of the rock on both sides.
- Touch up any rough edges with a paint pen.
- Paint the smallest rock in True Blue. - Let dry and add additional coats as needed
- Using a paint pen in red, draw a single star in the center of the rock, additional curved lines, swirls, and dots.
- Stack the painted rocks with the largest on the bottom and smallest on the top.
Expert Tips & FAQs
- Since we used a durable multi-surface paint that can handle the outdoors, there was no need to add a coat of sealer or varnish.
- Choose rocks that have a flatter surface so they can be easily stacked one on top of the other.
- Simply paint the three different sized rocks in these red, white, and blue themed design and place in the garden when done.
- Heart Wreath from Scrap Fabric - January 6, 2023
- Halloween Ribbon Wreath - September 16, 2022
- DIY Succulent Pumpkin Decor - September 2, 2022
Leave a Reply