Looking for a quick and easy way to paint some pots that make a bold statement? Decorate terra cotta pots to mimic strawberries, perfect for summer and full of vibrant color. So easy, anyone can do it! I can see using very small versions of these for Valentine’s for giving gifts, such as chocolate covered strawberries or cellophane bags of dried fruit.
I originally made this project for my monthly column “Crafty” in the Chicago Tribune. If you get the Tribune, my column appears once a month on Sunday near Puzzle Island.
I used small pots, but imagine how fun giant strawberry pots would look on your deck or balcony! I promise these are easy. Just paint, dot on the “achenes” (outer seeds) and you’re done!
- Terra cotta pot in size desired
- Acrylic outdoor craft paint in black, green and red (or a variation of red)
- Paint pot with red outdoor craft paint. Try variations such as fuchsia, magenta and even pink. Allow the paint to dry; repeat for a second coat if needed.
- Paint the rim and the inside of the pot with green outdoor paint. Repeat if needed.
- Dip the handle end of your paintbrush into black outdoor craft paint. Using the handle, add dots to the red portion of the pot, mimicking the outer seeds ("achenes") of a strawberry.
- Allow the pots to dry overnight before filling or wrapping.