Drip Dye Tees

How to Make Drip Dye Tees

I’m getting a little old for traditional tie dye designs. Sure they’re cool, but when your kids have all reached the age of high school and some are off to college, well, tie dye just seems a bit young. However, that doesn’t mean that I can’t create something fun and colorful to wear using a traditional tie dye kit! I saw some gorgeous tees on Pinterest where it looked like the dye had been dripped on instead of wrapping the tee in rubber bands first. I’m absolutely loving the result! Want to see how you can make some too?

How to Make Drip Dye Tees

Drip dyeing actually a lot easier than traditional tie dye methods because there’s no gathering, folding or banding involved. Just protect your surface, lay your tee down and drip away! I used Tuilp Tie Dye and love how it came out!

Drip Dye Tee

I actually liked this method so much that I ran to WalMart and bought a couple more tops so I could use up some more of the dye. I experimented with using dry shirts then dripping on dye, then dripping on some water.

Drip Dye Tee

I really like how these came out too!

How to Make Drip Dye Tees

Start off with Tulip’s Tie Dye Kits, I used Tropical Twist and Paradise Punch. You’ll also need something to cover your surface with.

How to Make Drip Dye Tees

Grab a white tee, I bought mine from Dollar General for $8.00. Choose a base color, it’s best to pick the lightest one. Refer to the actual package for what colors will look like when dry. Obviously this green looks a lot darker than it’s final result! Squeeze out some dry at the top of the tee, then taper off by dripping the dye instead of filling in solid areas.

How to Make Drip Dye Tees

Drip other colors, I found it easiest to hold the bottle pointing straight down and gently shaking it side to side. Be careful not to overdo it. I was actually afraid I went a bit crazy, so I drizzled a few drops of bleach over the finished dye job as well, to add a little white.

How to Make Drip Dye Tees

Follow the package directions for dry times. Tulip recommends you let the fabric site for 6-8 hours for the most vibrant results. I waited three as I really didn’t want to be too flashy.

How to Make Drip Dye Tees

I made the tee above and a tank. Notice the bleach drips too?

How to Make Drip Dye TeesI’m really happy with the results and think this would be fabulous on a hoodie too!

Here’s a quick guide from Tulip for other tie dye techniques too!┬áTulip Tie Dye Kits are available at Walmart, Walmart Canada, Michaels, JoAnn, A.C. Moore, Hobby Lobby, Hancock Fabrics, Meijer. Tie dye kit contents and colors may vary by store.

You can find out more about ILovetoCreate here:

While I did write this post as part of a paid campaign with iLoveToCreate.com and Blueprint Social, all opinions in this post are 100% true and my own.

To see what some of the other crafty minds came up with, check out the thumbnail links below for their projects!

Comments

1. Shannon says

Also does the shirt need to be 100% cotton? I tried to drip dye some shirts that were 60% cotton and they turned out differently than your shirts. They just looked the same as when I applied the dye with only a little bit of drip.

2. Kelley says

That would also allow you to make some really eye popping drapey scarves. Great technique. I am going to try making a scarf using your method in gray and Turquoise. Thanks for the inspiration!

3. Sarah says

Ahhhh so cool! Thanks so much! I’ve been looking all over online for how too do this! I just want mine to be more like Crayon Art, if you’ve ever seen it. Then I also plan on doing a Ombre dye shirt too!
    Thanks again! :D

4. Anna Bujarski says

I agree about the age thing & Tie dye. I’m 55 & don’t go to town wearing traditional tie dye. But recently my husband brought me #3 as a gift. Two of them were liked splashed with one color. He bought a pink one with the symbol for breast cancer awareness on lower right side. I wear the 2 single colored ones to town and I am excited to try your dripped ones & will wear to town. My youngest daughter getting married next march and you have given me some great ideas. In fact she had pinned the doily mason jars. Thank you for the great ideas!!

5. Karen Butterfiwld says

Hello, I was wondering if there was any place where we can print this out. I tried this site aand it didn’t work, we are all going on a camping trip and I would like to bring the stuff to make these.

we will be without electricity

6. pamela says

I hung t-shirts outside on clothes line.Then I had my grandchildren and great nephews fling the paint bottles toward the shirts. They turned out well and the kiddos loved them. This is what they done last Easter

7. Kristie says

Hi Amanda,
    do you make and sell these shirts by any chance? Sorry if there is an obvious place on the site for this – I could’t see it if there was.
    I love the shirts..but have no crafty ability (nor interest in developing one more to the point!) myself.

• says

Hi Kristie! I’m afraid I don’t sell the shirts. It’s really easy to do though, no crafty ability needed! Maybe you have a friend or relative that would want to try it with you?

8. Pam Austin says

Does it ‘bleed’ through enough to get good coverage on the back of the shirt? Or should I do the same on the back?