As computer systems are continually upgraded, CDs become obsolete. Games, music, promotional DVDs, all are great projects in the making! Recycle your old CDs into a chic set of coasters that are beautiful and useful.
I have a drawer in my craft room dedicated to old DVDs and CDs that I refuse to throw in the garbage. I made these coasters a few months ago and they are still holding up beautifully. In fact, I have one sitting right next to me as I type this with a coffee cup atop it!
These were really easy to make and I think the results are fabulous.
Looking for a great gift for the holidays?
Guarantee this will be a unique and appreciated gift. :)
- Recycled CDs or DVDs
- Colorful fabric
- Sand paper
- White spray primer
- Hot glue gun
- Sharp scissors
- Mod Podge Hard Surface
- Trace a CD onto your fabric. Repeat for as many different fabrics you want to use.
- Lightly sand off the side of the CD that has a design or writing on it. You don't have to sand everything off, just take the gloss coat off.
- Spray 2 coats of primer onto the CDs, allowing for proper dry time in between coats.
- Cut the circles out of the fabric, cutting them a little smaller than the traced circle to allow for some "border" around your coasters.
- For each coaster, cut a 3-inch circle from the felt.
- When primer is dry, hot glue the felt circles to the bottom of the Cds.
- To the top of the CD add a coat of Mod Podge. Gently press the fabric circle onto the coated CD and press out any wrinkles or creases. Allow to dry for 20 minutes before continuing.
- Apply two coats of Mod Podge to the top of the CD over the fabric, allow 2 hours dry time in between coats.