Shhhh. It’s a secret! A secret message that is! One that your kids will “decode” using a little watercolor paint. Totally fun and a great way to surprise your Valentine.
These would be great at a Valentine’s Day party. Have them all set out on the table. Put out watercolor paints and small cups of water and let the kids decode!
These were lots of fun and I’m sure your kids would think so too. Create your own ways to display these messages if you like, or use my instructions.
- 2 sheets white paper
- 1 sheet construction paper
- Black marker
- White crayon
- Watercolor paints
- Glue stick
- Fold one sheet of white paper in half like a card. Cut along the crease so that you have two pieces. Fold those two pieces in half.
- Cut hearts from the two small pieces of white paper.
- On the second piece of paper, use a black marker to write your message. Be sure that it will fit on the heart!
- Place your white heart over the black letters. You should be able to see the black letters through the white paper. Trace the letters onto the white heart using a white crayon.
- Cover the back of the heart with glue stick.
- Attach the heart to a piece of construction paper and trim.
- Paint the white heart with watercolor paints. The wax in the crayon will resist the watercolor, revealing your secret message!
I originally made this project for Spoonful. Spoonful has since closed and the instructions were taken down. I am putting the instructions here until such time that Spoonful projects are redirected to a new home. At that time I will remove the instructions and link directly to the project on their site.
Latest posts by Amanda Formaro (see all)
- Easy Yarn Crafts: Creative Ways to Use Yarn Without Knitting or Crocheting - March 17, 2017
- Egg Shell Mosaic Vase - March 14, 2017
- 40+ Creative Easter Crafts for Kids - March 6, 2017