Penguins are adorable, and they are often the subject of preschool and elementary learning, so I thought it would be fun to create some from toilet paper tubes! These cardboard tube penguins are really easy for kids to make and they’re oh so adorable.
Cardboard Tube Penguins
I don’t know about where you live, but here in southeast Wisconsin, I’m pretty sure a flock of penguins would be quite comfortable. Over the years, it’s been that cold! Our cardboard tube cardinals reflect the regular birds around here, but penguins are a different story.
These adorable cardboard tube penguins are a fun craft for kids made from toilet paper rolls and construction paper. Construction paper is usually a staple in a house with children. And everyone uses toilet paper. Turn your empty toilet paper tubes into cute penguins.
If you’re worried about germs, you can make this same project with an empty paper towel roll cut in half or thirds. The only other thing you will need are googly eyes and glue!
Supplies you will need
How to make a cardboard tube penguin
Cover the cardboard tubes in black construction paper.
Make the feet from orange construction paper.
There. Aren’t they cute? :)
More Cardboard Tube Crafts
Looking for more cardboard tube ideas? I have quite a few cardboard tube crafts for kids on the blog!
I love to create and share my projects with you! I know it’s hard to remember to come back and search, so I’ve made it easy for you with my weekly newsletter! You can subscribe for free and I’ll send you fun crafts every week right to your email.
Cardboard Tube Penguins
- 1 paper towel tube cut in half (or two toilet paper tubes)
- 1 sheet black construction paper
- 1/2 sheet white paper
- Scraps of orange, pink, and blue construction paper
- 4 googly eyes
- White craft glue
- Glue stick
- Cut paper towel tube in half and use glue stick or tape runner to cover in black construction paper.
- Cut the head and belly from white paper, a figure eight shape is all you need! Glue it to the black tube.
- Cut small triangles from orange paper for beaks and glue on. Attach googly eyes.
- Cut simple bow tie shapes from blue and pink paper and attach to the penguins.
- Cut feet from orange paper and glue to the inside of the bottom of the penguin.
This post was originally published on this blog on Jan 16, 2014.