Recycled Ladybug Jar

I love ladybugs. :) Ladybug crafts are always cute, they make you smile, and they are easy for kids too. I have a tendency to give everything that’s round and red a second look. Could that be turned into some sort of ladybug?? You’ve probably already seen my plastic lid ladybugs, and my paper plate ladybugs, so it’s probably no surprise that I’m posting yet another ladybug project.

My daughter, Kristen, is 16, so making crafts that she’ll use or display in her room is a bit trickier than it was, say, 10 years ago! Used to be that anything cutesy was welcomed in with open arms. Now? Not so much. She seems to have the same love of ladybugs that her mom does though, so I knew this would be put to good use. Can you see what’s inside the jar? Those are little ladybug shaped thumbtacks I found on clearance at WalMart, cute!

Kristen and I love to make homemade mocha frappacinos, and because of that, we tend to go through quite a few of those little plastic jars of instant coffee. As soon as I saw the empty jar with the red lid, I knew exactly what I was going to turn it into! The only real issue I ran into was some sticky glue from the label that just didn’t want to budge. I was able to get it off with Goo Gone, but I scratched the plastic surface using my kitchen scrubber sponge getting the goo off.

So I remedied that by using a simple foam stamp and black paint to add a bug to the scratchy spot.

Recycled Ladybug Jar

plastic or glass jar with lid
red, black and white acrylic craft paint
paintbrush
bug foam stamp
red polka dot fabric
scissors
sealer spray

Put lid on jar. If the lid is not red, paint it red. I added a thin coat of red to mine because it was a little cloudy looking.  Paint a black semicircle at one end of the lid. Use the handle end of the paintbrush dipped in black paint to add different sized spots. Let dry.

While that is drying, paint the surface of your foam stamp with black paint and press it onto the surface of the front of the jar. For mine, since I was using the bug to cover up a boo boo, I made sure that I painted the ladybug head (semicircle) on the lid to line up with the boo boo. Let dry.

use the handle end of the paintbrush dipped in white paint to add eyes. Let dry. Use a small paintbrush, handle end, dipped in black to dot on pupils. Let dry. For the tiny whites on the eyes, you can dip a toothpick in white paint, or use a white paint pen.

Use the handle end of a small paintbrush to add white dots to the back of the stamped bug. Let dry.

Wrap a piece of red polka dot fabric around the jar and tie in a bow, trim the ends. Give everything a quick burst spray of sealer.

I’m participating in the following craft carnivals. To see some other awesome projects, be sure to visit them!

Comments

1. Stephanie Lynn says

Super cute! This would be perfect for my little guy to catch some bugs {just poke a few holes in the top} Stop by the Sunday Showcase party if you get a chance. This is adorable – thanks for sharing!

2. Stephanie Lynn says

Thanks again so much for stopping by and joining the Sunday Showcase! You have such creative projects to share. Thank you! Hope you have a great week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

3. Amy Bowman says

you are full of great ideas. my daughter saw this and said "i wanna make one!! i know where to come when we are in a crafty mood!!

4. Linda@Coastal Charm says

What a stinkin cute idea…luv it! Hope you have a FUN week:)

Blessings,
    Linda

I’m having a GIVEAWAY…come by and check it out…I think you will like it!

5. Marie says

Hello sweet Amanda – I'm new to your blog via Tip Junkie! Your lady bug jar is adorable! My Emma would love something like this. She has been using my bud vases to collect her rolly polly bugs in! Thank you for sharing!

Blessings,
    Marie

6. Kristi says

Too cute! I love ladybugs too. My daughter is 11 and I've already begun having problems decorating her room. Why does she have to have an opinion about it? What can't I just decorate like I want to? ha ha

7. Megan says

So cute! I did a ladybug birthday party for my daughter a couple of years ago and I STILL can't stop considering how I can incorporate everyday items into a ladybug theme. Your jars are a great idea!

8. Amanda says

Thank you all so much for your wonderful comments!

Lanie thank you for the feature, so nice of you! I am displaying your button proudly ;)

9. Kim @ seven thirty three says

You have some of the cutest projects and this is no exception!

Thanks for linking with What are little boys made of?

10. Lanie Ree says

I love your ladybugs! I think it's the eyes. you make them so cute.

Thank you for linking this to A Little Craft Therapy, with Life in the Pitts.

11. Anonymous says

to get sticky labels off just smear with a little bit of peanut butter and let set over night is loosens the glue and washes right off.

12. Kayla @ MPM School Supplies Blog says

13. Diana says

I just thought of doing these (I also use the folgers) and hanging them on the wall w/small pic hooks or a small nail, to have a trail of them across my wall :)