Valentine’s Day is coming soon, so you’re going to need something fun to give out goodies in! These Valentine treat buckets adorned in polka dotted hearts make for a great gift filled with chocolate or other candies. They can also be used throughout the year as pen/pencil holder or for a variety of other items. Bonus! This Valentine’s Day craft is a perfect teen or adult project, there are so many ways you can get creative and make it your own.
Heart Valentine Treat Buckets
What cuter way to send your kiddos to school to gather treats on Valentine’s Day? Fill them with goodies for teachers, neighbors, friends or family! Personalize the adorable buckets with whatever paint colors your heart desires. Spruce them up and you’re ready to go! Add some glitter on top of the polka dotted hearts if you’d like and now you have a bedazzled V-Day treat bucket!
As you already know, I do some design work for DecoArt. They were looking for a fun Valentine craft to make using their gloss enamel paints for Joann’s Fabric and Craft Stores. So I went to Joann’s and found these adorable little tin buckets and got to work. You can see these on Joann’s site as well here.
Things you will need
The process is really simple for these Valentine treat buckets, it just takes a little patience. Cut out a heart shape from a piece of paper and place it in the bucket. I attached mine with a piece of rolled up tape in the center.
Then use the handle end of a paintbrush to dot around the heart with Razzle Berry gloss enamel paint. Remove the heart and repeat the heart pattern inside the first heart, using a contrasting color. Repeat, repeat, repeat. Let dry!
Be sure to check out these adorable Valentine’s Day Wine Glasses (how to paint wine glasses) that have a similar polka-dot heart design! Great for filling up with treats or for you and your loved one to toast with on V-day!
More Valentine’s Day Crafts
- Heart Suncatcher
- Printable Valentine Bingo
- Twirling Lovebugs
- Secret Message Valentine
- Scratch Off Valentine Gift Certificates
- Valentine Hugs
Polka Dotted Heart Valentine Buckets
- Pink and white tin buckets
Americana Gloss Enamels
- Razzle Berry
- Tuscan Red
- Shimmering Silver
- Bright Yellow
- Calypso Blue
- Draw a heart on a piece of paper to fit the size of your bucket.
- Cut the heart out from plain paper and attach to the front of the bucket using a piece of rolled up tape in the center of the pattern.
- Hold the bucket with one hand, pressing the sides of the heart pattern down onto the bucket.
- Use the handle end of a paintbrush to dot on enamel paint around the edge of the paper heart.
- Once the first set of dots, the initial heart shape, has been created, carefully remove the heart pattern from the bucket.
- Now using the dotted heart shape as your guide, choose a second color and add a second set of dots inside the first heart.
- Repeat this process, changing colors for each set of hearts.
- Allow to dry completely, overnight is best, before using.
This post was originally published on this blog on Jan 18, 2012.
- Tulip Wreath - March 21, 2023
- Cardboard Tube Bunny Rabbit Family - March 7, 2023
- St. Patrick’s Day Activity Sheets - February 28, 2023
maggy,red ted art says
Oooh VERY pretty. love it.
Thank you for sharing on Kids Get Crafty!
Those are adorable!
This is just insanely cute! And it sounds easy enough for me to actually try it! I found your craft on pinterest!
Love it! Great job. I hope you will come by and Link Up to the I Heart Projects Party I am having on my blog.
These are so sweet! And a great use for the rainbow of paint colors that accumulate! :)
Those buckets turned out so cute. What a great idea! It really dresses up the buckets. (I also like the polka dots on your blog.)
Gosh, these are adorable! I’d be thrilled if you’d come and link this fabulousness up to the Head to Head Showdown, going on right now at http://www.icantstopcrafting.blogspot.com ~Jen
So adorable! What a great idea.
Erin @ Making Memories says
These are so cute!!!
Anne Dial says
They are so cute..a Perfect teacher’s Valentine gift
Love these! So cute!
Cookie 17 says
These are darling ,,Great job,,,
Oh my goodness! These are so cute! It would be the perfect container for Valentine treats.
Brenda Morton says
These are adorable!!! Quick and oh so easy!! Perfect gift for giving on Valentines Day!!!!
Donna Akridge says
These are so cute and simple. I could use these for birthdays, holidays….oh whatever. With eight grandchildren simple is great.
What a great idea – I love these!
I love it! so cute! lovely and easy, thank you for share it. Have a nice day from spain under the rain!