If you’re looking for free crochet patterns, you aren’t the only one. Crochet has been popular for years, but it’s not just for your grandmother anymore! Crochet has seen an insurgence in the last decade and sites like Pinterest and Craftgawker are filled with a variety of crochet crafts. While we have collected plenty of yarn crafts before, this is the first time we’ve included needlework here. That’s why we’ve put together this collection of over 40 free crochet patterns for you to peruse and try.
There are affiliate links in this post. That means if you buy something from that link, I will earn a small commission, but it won’t cost you anything additional.
Free Crochet Patterns
If you are still new to crocheting, have never crocheted a day in your life, want to brush up on your skills or maybe learn some new crochet techniques, there are plenty of online crochet classes you can try. There are hundreds of books as well, including this best seller, A to Z of Crochet: The Ultimate Guide for the Beginner to Advanced Crocheter. Then of course there are all the yarns, tools, hooks and cases for your crochet obsession!
We’ve sorted these free crochet patterns into a few different categories starting with simple patterns then moving on to wearable items, cute animals, some Star Wars designs, and coffee sleeve crochet patterns. You’ll also find several home ideas, holiday crochet patterns, and finally just some overall cute and fun tutorials. Enjoy!
Simple Crochet Patterns
If you’re new to crochet, the free crochet patterns listed here are great for beginners.
- Fruit Scrubbies – These fruit scrubbies would be a fun and fast project to do, perfect if your learning.
- Teddy Bear Granny Square – Classic craft and yet still so cool!
- Tutti Frutti Potholders – These fruit potholders totally make me think of Summer.
- Owl Granny Square – If owls are your thing, then this is a perfect crochet project for you!
- Fish Scrubbie Washcloths – These washcloths are so awesome, would love some.
Wearable Crochet Patterns
One of the most popular searches for free crochet patterns are for things you can wear. A pair of cute baby booties or a pretty headband makes a great gift.
- Crocheted Bow Hair Clips – What a cute craft to make for a little girl.
- Bow Headband – Perfect touch for Fall and Winter, will keep your ears nice and warm.
- Frog Baby Booties – These would make a great gift for someone expecting.
- Bow Arm Warmers – I know a lot of girls would love to wear these during the cold months.
- Crochet Wooden Bead Necklace – What a creative idea for a simple wooden bead.
- Crochet Tribal Moccasins – These moccasins look super comfy and cute.
- Button Trapper Baby Hat – So many baby hat options out there, but I love this one!
- Crochet Baby Loafers – Baby’s feet will never be cold with these!
- Infinity Scarf – Stay warm and trendy every winter by wrapping this around your neck.
- Crochet Sandals – There’s no need to sacrifice comfort for fashion!
Cute Animal Crochet Patterns
I have seen so many free crochet patterns of darling animals, we could never list them all, but here’s some sweet ones to get you started.
- Rainbow Unicorn Pattern – Perfect for littles ones to snuggle up with.
- Crochet Jellyfish – The sweetest little project to make for the kids.
- Monkey Crochet Pattern -Who wouldn’t love to receive this sweet monkey?
- Woodland Hedgehog – I know a lot of kids would love this little hedgehog.
- Crochet Owl – This owl this simply adorable.
Star Wars Crochet Patterns
Yes, there are free crochet crochet patterns for all you Star Wars fans out there too!
- Princess Leia Beanie – You can see this is a must DIY project for any Star Wars lover.
- Freezie Star Wars Lightsabers – Great way to keep the kid’s hands from freezing.
- DIY Mini Star Wars Toys – These are adorable and would be super fun to make.
Coffee Cup Sleeve Crochet Patterns
A crocheted coffee cup sleeve makes a great gift ideas, so be sure to check out these free patterns below.
- Fox Coffee Sleeve Pattern – The fox is a fun little addition to this coffee sleeve.
- Pocket Coffee Cozy – This would make a great gift for the holidays.
- Button Coffee Cozy – I would love to have one of those for those cold days out with coffee or tea.
Home Idea Crochet Patterns
Whether you want to decorate or make something useful, here are several crochet patterns perfect for around the house.
- Crochet Dream Catcher – Such a clever idea for wall art.
- Crochet Wall Hanging – I can’t believe how cool this wall hanging is.
- Crochet Heart Basket – I’m always on the lookout for new craft ideas, and I love this one!
- Rainbow Nesting Baskets – These look a little tricky, but totally worth making.
- Cozy for Jars for Cans – Great way to upcycle some old cans for a project.
- Crochet Pillows – This is a perfect project to get started with crocheting.
- Market Bag – What a great material to make your own market bag.
Holiday Crochet Patterns
Oh the holidays! There are hundreds of free crochet patterns for the holidays, here are just a handful to get you going.
- Thanksgiving Turkey – I love the crochet turkey for the holidays.
- Mini Easter Egg Basket – This would make a great party favor for Easter.
- Heart Head Warmer – How adorable did this heart-head warmer turn out?
- Crochet Snowball Wreath – Your guests will love seeing this wreath as they walk in your door.
- Crochet Pumpkin – Would be great for your Fall decor and easy to make.
- Star Ornament – I would love to have these on my Christmas tree.
- Candy Corn Halloween Bag – Perfect to hold all your yummy treats.
Fun and Cute Crochet Patterns
Aren’t these patterns cute? From practical to functional and just plain adorable, you’ll love these free crochet patterns.
- Daisies Crochet Pattern – If your looking for a smaller project, these are great!
- Crochet iPad Mini Case – This iPad case is so creative, I would love to have one of these!
- Crochet Donuts – These crocheted donuts look too tasty!
- Sunflower Pattern – This crochet sunflower is simple to make with easy instructions.
- Crochet Dish Cloth – These dish cloths caught my eye, I wonder how great they work?
- Owl Sleeping Mask – You can see why I added them to the roundup, they are too cool!
- Cute Crochet Bows – These tiny bows would be a cute touch to any project.
Now that you have all these amazing ideas, it’s time to get started. But have too much yarn and can’t get organized? Here’s a great roundup of yarn storage ideas to help get anyone’s yarn stash organized.
Be sure to check out all of our adult craft ideas here!
Latest posts by Amanda Formaro (see all)
- Easy Yarn Crafts: Creative Ways to Use Yarn Without Knitting or Crocheting - March 17, 2017
- Egg Shell Mosaic Vase - March 14, 2017
- 40+ Creative Easter Crafts for Kids - March 6, 2017